• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Proof of Business Account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dominicf View Post
    A dishonest business can create any proof they like and send it electronically - this is the MODERN age!
    If the agency just accepted the bank details and paid the money blindly into the account then there are all manner of frauds which could go on. It is also possible that HMRC could hold them liable for paying a person without deducting PAYE/NI and the liability on the agency could be substantial unless they can prove that they took reasonable steps to verify the payee.

If a contractor sent their bank details to the agency (without any proof) then it would be easy enough for the contractor to "accidentally" give the account details of their mum/dad/granny/whatever personal bank rather than the company ones and if they got caught out in the future they could claim it was a "genuine mistake". Depending on the merits of the case, there may be a small penalty and a slap on the wrist for being careless.

If a contractor scanned a bank statement and then deliberately altered the details to misrepresent the account details then they are committing fraud which could very well result in criminal charges and a large penalty.

Originally posted by dominicf View Post
    My recommendation to the lunatic agencies that really want to ensure that I am genuine? Post cheques to my Ltd company address.
    Eh? You'd rather go through all that palava rather than just sending them a copy of your bank statement?
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
    X