• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interesting 'recruitment' process

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Hi

First time poster, long time lurker.

I am a contract tester currently looking for a new gig. To this end I was put forward for a role but instead of the more traditional interview there was a practical assessment.

Now I have heard these are becoming more common (admittedly more so for developers) but I found it a bit unusual I had to bring my own laptop. Upon arrival me and three others were put in a room and given instructions to test the live version (as in version on the public website) of their product and write a report for them.

As soon as we finished we had to find someone to let us out and have a (literally) two minute chat about what we had found. No attempt at an interview.

The agent (who is blameless in all this) rang me today to say that all seven people had been turned down for the contract. This suggests to me that their was no contract and they just wanted some free labour.

Now I am not writing this for sympathy or advice. I have already had an argument with the MD of the outfit via e-mail and the agent has severed all ties with them (plus I have something else lined up).

I purely put this up as a warning that if you are invited to a apply for a 'contract' for a start up company by some very tall buildings by a river in London, I urge caution!
    This is a really good idea
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You accuse me of offering up a search or point out the beginner guides, being rude and unhelpful to new posters and now giving the same crap advice. I can't do all three all the time. Make your bleedin mind up!!!!

See, thats just rubbish I would never say that...

Get a new boyfriend. Plenty of them around tulip happens, this time on your cake. Move on and put it down to experience.

Simples.

Pwnd you!!
      I'm sure, with a bit of work, you could do all three at the same time

It's not a criticism though, it's admiration

That is plain crap advice, she's been with the guy for a few years. One 'tulip on a birthday cake' incident should not be enough to ruin it !! She should learn and move on from the cake, not the boyfriend
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        This is a really good idea
        I suppose the next thing would be to repeat the exercise the week after with developers to do the fixes!

Comment

I suppose the next thing would be to repeat the exercise the week after with developers to do the fixes!
          If you get called back for a "re-interview", then I'd steer clear!
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

[QUOTE=SussexSeagull;1420628]Hi

they just wanted some free labour.

QUOTE]

Would a company go to should lengths to get some free labour?
            Maybe other agencies were involved and their candidate got the contract?

Comment

[QUOTE=NervousRexx;1421189]
              Hi

they just wanted some free labour.

QUOTE]

Would a company go to should lengths to get some free labour?
              Maybe other agencies were involved and their candidate got the contract?
              Seven people over two agencies were rejected. Bear in mind we were there for four hours each, it isn't to be sniffed at.

As I say, I can't definitively prove it but I know what it looks like. Take it on board or assume it is sour grapes, it really makes no difference to me.

Comment

[QUOTE=SussexSeagull;1421210]
                Originally posted by NervousRexx View Post

Seven people over two agencies were rejected. Bear in mind we were there for four hours each, it isn't to be sniffed at.

As I say, I can't definitively prove it but I know what it looks like. Take it on board or assume it is sour grapes, it really makes no difference to me.
                I wasn't assuming it was sour grapes - didn't realise it was a 4 hour session.

Comment

[QUOTE=SussexSeagull;1421210]

Well, at least you now have an answer for the trawlermen, sorry, agents who ask you where you've interviewed recently. Tell them. All of them. Even the ones who don't ring you.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

[QUOTE=NervousRexx;1421220]

I wasn't assuming it was sour grapes - didn't realise it was a 4 hour session.
                    Well one of the first things that got me thinking was we were told to take as long as we wanted. Now I haven't done an assessment centre in years but I would have thought working to pressure would be one thing they would look at (hence putting a time limit on it). As it happens it seemed to take about 4 hours (there was one guy still going when I left).

Comment

Well one of the first things that got me thinking was we were told to take as long as we wanted. Now I haven't done an assessment centre in years but I would have thought working to pressure would be one thing they would look at (hence putting a time limit on it). As it happens it seemed to take about 4 hours (there was one guy still going when I left).
                      It's been debated many, many times on here, this "practical test/assessment" lark. I'll simply restate my own opinion during my 23 years of contracting: I never, ever agree to any form of "test". Period. Between me and a client or agency, there is only work. And work is always chargeable.

I point-blank refused to do any form of test for my current client (an IB.) Simply informed them that my c.v. and verifiable references were more than enough and they would get nothing more. At that point they dropped the test. I've now been here 2 years and ticking...

EDIT: To clarify, that's my opinion. So, please, let's not start the ten page flame-wars over this issue again! And if you disagree with me, please give me a PM, as I have a house that needs decorating and I'd be happy to "assess" your painting skills for free. Shouldn't take more than 4 hours / room.
                      Last edited by nomadd; 4 November 2011, 14:14.
                      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                      X