• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I get out???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just give your notice and move on.

I think what you're mistaking for 'lying' is classic agent pushiness/aggressiveness . TAV is demonstrating it in this thread. Think of some of those wheeler/dealer types you see on the Apprentice who get knocked out in the early rounds, then you've got the picture.

You are not breaking a contract, by giving notice. It's not ideal and as long as you are firm and professional I see no problem with it. The agent will of course be pushy, but at the end of the perfectly entitled to do it. It works both ways of course, it's stacked much more heavily in terms of the agencies though.

If you make the break firmly and professionally, no reason you may do business in the future if you are the right person for a role the agent has. I recently gave notice on a contract after six weeks of a six monther. The client was an asshole and I didn't like my agent 'apprentice' who had harassed me constantly to interview/agree/sign/start/no notice etc over at least 20 blitzkrieg phone calls. I added A months notice period and when I started at the client and found out the role was BS I gave notice.

She's been on the phone twice in the last month offering me other work!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If someone gives notice before a contract starts does that not take effect from the start date of the contract as obviously before then there is not contract.

So if there is a months notice and you don't want to start the contract and hand in your months notice whats to say they want you to come in for that month. Could imagine some agencies trying to make you and maybe even some clients.

Comment

Originally posted by robin View Post
        So if there is a months notice and you don't want to start the contract and hand in your months notice whats to say they want you to come in for that month. Could imagine some agencies trying to make you and maybe even some clients.

If someone says they don't want to do the contract then I can't see any reason to force them to come in and work their notice. They aren't exactly going to be useful or motivated would they?
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Just give your notice and move on.

I think what you're mistaking for 'lying' is classic agent pushiness/aggressiveness . TAV is demonstrating it in this thread. Think of some of those wheeler/dealer types you see on the Apprentice who get knocked out in the early rounds, then you've got the picture.
          You know that the guy who WON the apprentice in 2008 was a recruiter right??
          "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
          SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
            You know that the guy who WON the apprentice in 2008 was a recruiter right??
            You do know that is not a glowing recomendation for recruiters right?!?

Comment

Originally posted by PapaDel View Post
              Got a contract, signed it but yet to start, will start in the 10th June 2011. Got another from another company and another agency and will start on the 3rd June 2011. Want to get out of the signed one and my notice period is 7 days. Can I use that to get out? Frankly, don't want the one I signed but Agent talked me out of going to another. Contract is fine but thought I will be working for a blue chip company?? Turns out I will be based on the blue chip site but will be working through their parent company. Complicated?? you bet! Anyway is it possible to get out?? I am thinking I can use my 7 days and then get out. I am going to get out, credibility or not. Already, I feel the agent lied to me, but then I had not choice. It was that or sitting on the bench with no quids. Any advice welcome...
              Thank goodness agents tend to put a lot of objectionable stuff in contracts. It usually makes no difference to the actual working conditions, but it is useful if there's something dodgy about the client and you need an excuse to get out quickly.

Since the notice period is 7 days, I suggest you do the honourable thing and work for them for 7 days. Who knows, they might be lovely people and make you change your mind.
              Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Working...
              X