• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outstanding Invoices & Umbrella's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit harsh Mordac.... Contractors (typically) don't want to pay big fees (look at the p4 moans) and get those permie like benefits. Who would realistically use a brolly that charged a really high rate just to cover sick pay? Brollies allow newbs to progress and clealry serve a purpose. You may not agree with that but at least Parasol have the balls to be honest.

Comment

If Parasol are the employer, then what is the difference between them and someone working PAYE with an agency. It really isn't that difficult to offset expenses against earnings to reduce taxable income.

The whole reason for chosing a brolly is that you are caught by IR35 so need a vehicle to be tax efficient, but it is nothing more than expenses offset against taxable earnings. I am amazed that agents don't do brollys themselves, (well some do NWM being one I can think of), they are normally up for scamming every last penny they can.

Brave of Parasol to come on though, I say give him some credit for that.

Comment

Lower rates and no expenses if on Agency PAYE - the cycle is often Agency PAYE -> Brolly -> Limited and back again!

Comment

Originally posted by freshblue
          Bit harsh Mordac.... Contractors (typically) don't want to pay big fees (look at the p4 moans) and get those permie like benefits. Who would realistically use a brolly that charged a really high rate just to cover sick pay? Brollies allow newbs to progress and clealry serve a purpose. You may not agree with that but at least Parasol have the balls to be honest.
          >permie like benefits

We neither expect nor want them. That's what contracting is all about, with freedom comes responsibility (in this case the responsibility to sort these things out for ourselves). As I said, if Parasol just marketed themselves as a payroll agency (which, in truth is what they are) that would be fine. I just found it hard to believe a Parasol person coming on here and admitting that their "clients" are actually employees. They are potentially opening themselves up to a lot of claims, which may well be spurious, but thanks to NewLie and the EU, employees now have more rights than you can shake a stick at.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

and thank you...

Mordac - apology accepted.

Parasol pay maternity pay as well because I asked the question when I was with them (erm.. girlfriend "issue" at the time). No doubt they would stick to the rules of eligibility as much as they can but that must be a big worry for them. I think from memory they would have to pay 90% of earnings (which in the contracting market is alot of dosh) for a number of weeks followed by a statutory amount for another period. No doubt they will get a flood of women going through them once that is out in the open.

You will probably find they and the other brollys have factored all this into their fees and respond accordingly when the number of claims goes up.

What would be enlightning is a some kind of "ambulance chasing" type legal company doing a class action for holiday pay / redundancy etc... on behalf of all the "employees".

Comment

Employee???, Mmm I think not for they are not willing to pay this expense incurred whilst working on contract as it is owed by the agency/client not by them.
              Good sales pitch Xtrain you on commision for Parasol?.

Comment

Commission...

Originally posted by rz6bm7
                Employee???, Mmm I think not for they are not willing to pay this expense incurred whilst working on contract as it is owed by the agency/client not by them.
                Good sales pitch Xtrain you on commision for Parasol?.
                So we have confirmed that they are the employer and therefore are liable for all employment rights should anyone claim them and now you think I'm working for them! That would be one weird way to earn commission. And just to confirm if you use a brolly you have NO contract with the agency. The contract is with the brolly and the brolly has one with the agency. In legal terms I would assume that the agency therefore does not owe you anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Xtrain
                  And just to confirm if you use a brolly you have NO contract with the agency. The contract is with the brolly and the brolly has one with the agency. In legal terms I would assume that the agency therefore does not owe you anything.
                  That is llikely to be true in almost all situations.

It is possible however to still have a contract with the agency {as well} depending upon underlying terms (although that would tend to imply also signing the contract in a personal capacity). Further it is possible there might just be an implied contract between the individual and the agency.

Comment

Last edited by rz6bm7; 13 April 2006, 17:43.

Comment

Working...
                    X