• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Oz

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by janey
    also an awful lot of them are here due to "ancestry" rights... ie their parents or grandparents were british and therefore they can come over here and work straight away and for as long as they want.
    what booted out for stealing and we let them back in???? God, we'll be giving them the dole next!

Comment

If I may add a subsidiary question, does anyone have knowledge or experience of working in Australia on a work visa other than working holiday or resident immigration? The age limits for both of those are too small for me (I refuse to say I'm too old!)

Comment

Originally posted by expat
        If I may add a subsidiary question, does anyone have knowledge or experience of working in Australia on a work visa other than working holiday or resident immigration? The age limits for both of those are too small for me (I refuse to say I'm too old!)
        As posted earlier I got a business vis in '95. No age limits that applied to me in any way at the time. They are only normally for 3 months but for some reason mine was granted for 12.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
          I can't help you on that one I'm afraid but if you don't manage to get an answer in here try :

http://forums.australia-migration.com/index.php

this is a really good forum run by one of the migration agents... I have no idea why they do this since it pretty much makes them redundant cos they answer any questions you have!

also www.britishexpat.com might be of some use
          "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
            As posted earlier I got a business vis in '95. No age limits that applied to me in any way at the time. They are only normally for 3 months but for some reason mine was granted for 12.
            but I think with this approach you will have to have a job offer before you go?

from what I can gather this is no easy task ... if you're lucky enough to be able to do this gimme some tips!

Comment

Originally posted by remoh1972
              what booted out for stealing and we let them back in???? God, we'll be giving them the dole next!
              I know frustrating or what eh!?

but what were we thinking in the first place... send all our criminals to sunny climes whilst we stay in our grey, damp and cold island!#

go figure

Comment

Originally posted by janey
                but I think with this approach you will have to have a job offer before you go?

from what I can gather this is no easy task ... if you're lucky enough to be able to do this gimme some tips!
                I don't know. It was simply what was most expedient for my circumstances at the time.

Comment

Working holiday visa

I was in Oz with a working holiday visa looking for longish contracts. Did well in the interviews but when they found out about the limits of the visa they weren't interested.
                  Market was tougher then, so might be a better situation now.

Not exactly a reciprocal agreement visa wise....still what are the Ozzies doing in this country now the eastern europeans are now all behind the bars/ working in hotels?!

Lots of work in Oz fruit picking though.

Comment

I heard....

I heard someone say the other day that when he entered Australia, immigration asked whether he had a criminal history.

He replied:

"I wasn't aware that was a requirement anymore"

My advice though - immigration officers don't have a sense of humour....

Comment

Originally posted by Perhentian
                      I heard someone say the other day that when he entered Australia, immigration asked whether he had a criminal history.

He replied:

"I wasn't aware that was a requirement anymore"

My advice though - immigration officers don't have a sense of humour....
                      I came into Dover once via bus/ferry from France, on an aussie passport. The immigration officer asked what brought me to the UK.

"The weather" was my reply - it was a cold and miserable day. Got a slight hint of a smile.

I think I was pretty much the only person who spoke english on the bus. Two of the other passengers hadn't even brought a passport with them.

Comment

Working...
                      X