• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lamb to the slaughter…?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dr_qwertie
    why does toast always land butter-side down?
    I can't believe you all missed the important question.

To stop it falling butter-side down either

a) don't butter it
    b) don't drop it
    c) drop it from a lower height
    d) drop it from a heigher height
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

I wanna take ya higher

F in "Boom chakka chakka chakka boom chakka chakka chakka" mode
      We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

To be honest, I’ve got to get into the IT sector for my sanity. I’ve always been the local IT Whizz because I’ve always been in departments where mapping a printer is regarded as somewhat of a show of genius. I’m quite prepared to go in at entry-level to just ‘get in-there’. Which is why I was really trying to get a feel for which areas I could maybe have a head-start in with my basic skills.

I’ve had my CV out and had calls from agencies offering stuff like an analyst role for £200/day but with the learnings I have from this site, I’m hesitant to believe some of the positions existed, or the agencies didn't even bother to read my CV!

I’ve found that in the company I’m in – that’s why I ended up developing a lot of MS Access databases that had suitable bells & whistles, as there was never enough justification to make it an IT Project, but enough need that people approached me for them. Being in the scientific arena, making Excel jump through hoops is always popular as well. I understand about it not being a defined career-path as I can’t imagine too many companies taking time to hire to support pimped-up MS Office Apps. That said, it does seem like a nice niche if one could market oneself that way somehow.

Don't be embarrassed that you work on MS Access and Excel - that's what I do - on a contract basis. I earn just less than £200 /day which is probably pretty good money for the skills I am using.

Why not exploit your COBOL skills - so many of the large firms (CIS for one) still use COBOL. As it is a rare skill you're sure to be able to charge upwards of £500 /day - and that maybe conservative.

In the long term I think .Net or Java will be your best bet. Take your pick - the money is good on either. Oh and add in SQL Server or Oracle - which should be easy for you to learn.

Or screw the programming and go straight to Business Analysis.

BTW: I could use a replacement for the contract I'm on come June....
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

As it is a rare skill you're sure to be able to charge upwards of £500 /day

Pass that doob, LE, you've had it ages.
          We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood

Pass that doob, LE, you've had it ages.
            Yeah, show me where!

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000
              Why not exploit your COBOL skills - so many of the large firms (CIS for one) still use COBOL. As it is a rare skill you're sure to be able to charge upwards of £500 /day - and that maybe conservative.
              Jesus, I wish you wouldn't do that. The guys in the office here are asking why I'm laughing out loud....

Comment

And why does toast always land butter-side down?
                Because butter is denser than toast.

Comment

And it's stickier, so it attracts the ground on the way down.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
                    And it's stickier, so it attracts the ground on the way down.
                    well, that's its greater density giving in effect a tidal attrractive force which with its inverse-cube law will overpower other effects.....

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                      well, that's its greater density giving in effect a tidal attrractive force which with its inverse-cube law will overpower other effects.....
                      Y'know...I think I'll just switch to Marge.

Comment

Working...
                      X