• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shall I Tell the agent about the previous company who interviewed me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    computer people supply into M&S @ 4% margins
    Not when I was at M&S via CP. More like 24% . I was happy with my rate, but I imagine M&S weren't happy with theirs. That was the last time I had anything to do with CP, they're now basically selling themselves as a body shop.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

OP

You have learned about these agencies the same way we all have.

I take it you now have a folder for 'Never contact again!'

Get a confirmation from them that they have removed your details then add the agencies you mentioned to this folder.

Dont worry about this policy reducing your 'opportunities', as these agencies are not going to do your reputation any good. By now any previous employers mentioned on your CV are shouting 'F*** O** stop bothering me!' down the phone at some gel smelling coc*ring trying to sell cheap but unwelcome idiots to them.

2c
      error

ps there is a contract out there but it seems you have to kiss frogs to get it! dont kiss any frogs twice though or the industry will think you like it!
      jobjock www.dreamturbine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
        Firstly I would recommend 2 things. 1, Stay away from Progressive. And 2, stay away from Computer People. That's not just me saying this, I can confidently predict a steady stream of fellow veteran contractors voicing similar opinions.

Don't feel too bad, all of us have been stiffed by an unscrupulous agency in the past, but usually only once.
        Hey thanks for the advice. Now that I have learnt the lesson, I will very cautious in future.

Comment

>Unfortunately for you you got caught in the middle of cross-fire between two of the most abusive agencies I have ever come across.

Abusive agencies? Can you share your experience with them and what has made this strong opinion?

>You will find that certain agencies will take advantage of you because you are new to the country - they will do the same to anyone who hasn't researched contracting properly. The majority are OK but the few spoil it for everyone.
          Yeah, being new to the country is a big disadvantage, because people dont seem to consider your application even though you have a strong experience. It took me two months to get my first interview. Agents dont out forward your CV if you dont have experience of working in UK. So its really depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
            Not when I was at M&S via CP. More like 24% . I was happy with my rate, but I imagine M&S weren't happy with theirs. That was the last time I had anything to do with CP, they're now basically selling themselves as a body shop.

We had a "tilt" at them last year with no success, they also use Parity. Most of their IT is in India now, so they seem to be a no go area for agencies looking to make some profit.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by rashmitambe
              >Unfortunately for you you got caught in the middle of cross-fire between two of the most abusive agencies I have ever come across.

Abusive agencies? Can you share your experience with them and what has made this strong opinion?

Where shall I start and how long can a post be before it is truncated?

These agencies call me up even though they have been instructed under the DPA to remove my details as I don't do business with either of them - blatant disregard for the law. In the past both of them have submitted my CV without permission, and both said they have submitted my CV as a preferred supplier when they were not. They are a danger to me finding contracts with acts like that. They call me evenings and weekends and I have had to resort to asking the Information Commissioner to take action. Progressive actually emailed me today saying they could not not take me off their mail distribution list because they didn't know my email address. Whilst I was working abroad a few years ago Computer People kept calling me on my mobile which then was costing about £1 a minute for being abroad - I told the guy not to keep calling me because of the cost and I was already in a contract. I was bombarded with phone calls from these guys all the time after that - they did not care about the cost/inconvenience to me. With withheld numbers it was costing a £1 just to hang up.

Comment

Originally posted by privateeye
                Where shall I start and how long can a post be before it is truncated?

In the past both of them have submitted my CV without permission, and both said they have submitted my CV as a preferred supplier when they were not. .
                Did you report these EB's to the client HR department? I'm sure they would be very interested to know that an EB is telling candidates they are preferred suppliers when they clearly aren't.

I always get recruiters who want to represent me to state in writing by return e-mail that they are preferred suppliers and that they've sent my CV to the client. Most wouldn't dare confirm this in writing if it wasn't true. Without this information I won't allow them to claim to their client that they are exclusively representing me and make it clear that the first agency that does confirm in writing will be able to claim genuine representation with my backing if I then get the gig and a dispute arises later.

That puts all recruiters in a catch 22 situation of telling me the truth about what they've done or else forgoing my candidature.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
                  Did you report these EB's to the client HR department? I'm sure they would be very interested to know that an EB is telling candidates they are preferred suppliers when they clearly aren't.

I always get recruiters who want to represent me to state in writing by return e-mail that they are preferred suppliers and that they've sent my CV to the client. Most wouldn't dare confirm this in writing if it wasn't true. Without this information I won't allow them to claim to their client that they are exclusively representing me and make it clear that the first agency that does confirm in writing will be able to claim genuine representation with my backing if I then get the gig and a dispute arises later.

That puts all recruiters in a catch 22 situation of telling me the truth about what they've done or else forgoing my candidature.
                  It was dealt with at the time, once by another agent who submitted me legitamately and secondly by a project manager who happened to be one of the neighbours. I too do not allow my CV to be submitted unless I am given the name of a client. I learnt lessons years ago and don't fall for the tricks anymore.

Comment

Working...
                  X