• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The contract market isn't one market which is why our experiences can be different.

Aerospace seems ok at the moment as 787 is being finished off and A350 is recruiting more engineers.

Rates are depressed but at least there appears work even if as a niche area there are not huge quantities of opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by Keen2Work View Post
      I'm interested to know whether anyone has direct experience of gaining a contract on the back of certified competency in an additional skill through study alone, without having also had specific commercial experience to back it up?
      Sorry, haven't directly gained a contract because of getting a certification. My logic for getting them is:

-cheap if you self study/have knowledge and only pay for the exam.
      -given the above, if you've got time on your hands you might as well (can't hurt, can it?).
      -if you're e.g. a C++ programmer and want to go for "C++ with a bit of .NET" roles it could give you an edge or at least get you past the agent.
      -puts something new on the CV, so shows you haven't been inactive for n number of weeks/months.

Of course if you're a UNIX sysadmin and want to go for .NET developer contracts a couple of certs isn't going to be enough...

Comment

Well if the deal between the EU and India for free trade and visa free access for IT workers expect the rates for contracting to go through the floor.

This is due to be thrashed out this December, I guess China will be next.

Comment

Like I said its not the certs as such - just having the right skills and latest fad is the key. Look on the jobsites - see what they're asking for, even if it's a twist on what you've got already (remember the pimps don't have a clue!).

Had a quiet time as a PM looking a couple of months ago, changed a few things round on my CV - included the latest buzzwords on something I've done a lot of in the past, and hey presto - had 4 interviews in a week.

Just bear in mind as well - once the cutbacks are announced, a lot of sectors are going to get very very hard to find any work in.

Comment

Generic skills like .NET, Java, SQL etc. are facing very stiff competition as these jobs are easiest to send offshore.

So, jobs from large organizations are not available (as they have been outsourced). Only small/medium companies (who can't afford outsourcing) will advertise for these roles - result - too many applicants and poor rate.

Comment

I am in sql development about two months into a contract. When I was last looking in August this year I was fairly swamped with responses. Had 3 interviews lined up within 10 working days of looking - cleared one of them and in a contract now. At least in sql (dev/dba) there seemed to be loads of jobs, and very little fishing as well - the agents I spoke to all meant business and were fairly keen to get my cv across for possible interviews.
              First role of mine for 8 months was in SQL and now I have managed to move into BI. I dont think there are that many SQL roles around as you might think, there is still severe saturation out there.

Comment

I've actually had a pretty good year all things considered. Current gig is up next week though & my CV has been out there for the past couple of weeks & so far there appears to be tap all out there. It was much more buoyant earlier on in the year. Don't know what the score is at the moment, hope I get something before the cuts start to bite. I'm in .Net development BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                  I've actually had a pretty good year all things considered. Current gig is up next week though & my CV has been out there for the past couple of weeks & so far there appears to be tap all out there. It was much more buoyant earlier on in the year. Don't know what the score is at the moment, hope I get something before the cuts start to bite. I'm in .Net development BTW.
                  I read an article in the FT a few days ago saying that many of the successful large companies out there have good cash reserves and have been waiting to see what the spending review has in store before investing in new projects. I hope this is true.

Comment

Currently debating whether to quit my job now and jobhunt mid-late November, or stick it through until Christmas, and look in the new year ...

Seems to be quieter than a few months ago on the front-end side though. Hopefully the above is true

Comment

You said you had some interviews but failed them? The fact you are getting interviews means the market is ok, but the fact you are failing them means you are doing something wrong. Usually contractor interviews are just a formality to check you are ok and that your CV checks out.

Maybe you need to ask feedback about why you never got the roles after interviewing? Be honest with yourself, did you fluff them? Were you prepared? Did you show knowledge in the areas specified?

I am in .NET and haven't been on the bench unintentionally since I started.

Comment

Working...
                      X