• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PropertyCrashUK View Post
    I take it this is RBS? LloydsTSB appear to be hiring contractors. Or is it the Rock? Naming it on here surely will not have them tracking back to you?

Give a hint at least.
    Sounds like RBS. That's what I'm hearing from people who work there at least.

Still, could - probably will - account for all the state-owned UK banks soon.

Your tax dollars at work. In another country.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Just been talking to some agents. Apparently for every role there are anywhere between 100-200 applications
      there are lot of tier 1 visa holders who are willing to work for rock bottom rate
      Time to look for a permie job, having spent 10 months on the bench

Comment

I think it depends on your skillset, I've been doing .Net and have jumped from one short term contract to another, the last real gap I had was Christmas 2007

But I have noticed less contracts out there and depressed rates, and I moved to London thinking the contract market always recovers here first

I imagine oop north it's grim right now
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
          I think it depends on your skillset, I've been doing .Net and have jumped from one short term contract to another, the last real gap I had was Christmas 2007

But I have noticed less contracts out there and depressed rates, and I moved to London thinking the contract market always recovers here first

I imagine oop north it's grim right now

What about the City? Isn't that booming now? I see loads of contracts advertised in Canary Wharf.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
            Sounds like RBS. That's what I'm hearing from people who work there at least.

Still, could - probably will - account for all the state-owned UK banks soon.

Your tax dollars at work. In another country.
            Though sounds like Lloyds too, they have a massive reduction in permie headcount being topped up with 'strategic partners' i.e. offshore body shops, in number of areas, architecture, service delivery and app support.
            Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

This role is on with a few agencies today in Wales.

Network Infrastructure Analyst Cardiff Contract IT Job

But if you do a search in Wales you can see that the same project is taking on a BA and a PM - both being paid a higher daily rate whilst this role wants you to do shift on call stuff.

Hmm, nice office job clocking off at 4.30 or a shift role which requires a long list of skills and which is also happy on call rota stuff?

Comment

This role is on with a few agencies today in Wales.

Network Infrastructure Analyst Cardiff Contract IT Job

But if you do a search in Wales you can see that the same project is taking on a BA and a PM - both being paid a higher daily rate whilst this role wants you to do shift on call stuff.

Hmm, nice office job clocking off at 4.30 or a shift role which requires a long list of skills and which is also happy on call rota stuff?
                At least that's paying up to £350.

I was offered my old contract at Barclays back, 18 months ago. The rate had mysteriously dropped in the six months I'd been away from £550 to £180. How me and their new Indian "Recruitment Consultancy" laughed over that one. Or maybe it was just me, I can't quite remember...
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                  At least that's paying up to £350.

I was offered my old contract at Barclays back, 18 months ago. The rate had mysteriously dropped in the six months I'd been away from £550 to £180. How me and their new Indian "Recruitment Consultancy" laughed over that one. Or maybe it was just me, I can't quite remember...
                  Was that in Canary Wharf?

Comment

My two second interview last week disappeared....

Agent came up with they're struggling to find time to interview me and the agent will call me once it's organised. This is for a permie job FFS.

And now I've got pimps asking me why have you been left on the market for so long.... cus I took a holiday last year and Jan has been dead for me....

Comment

Was that in Canary Wharf?
                      Nope, "Oop North". I took a few months off and went to work for another part of Barclays who weren't working through that Indian Outsourcer; the rates there were back up to normal levels. I was then offered a contract in Canary Wharf last year with Barclays, but at the more standard £600. Didn't take it as I had a better offer elsewhere. Mind you, ended up back in Canary Wharf for my current gig (even better offer still), so I guess it's all come full-circle in the end. All-in-all, no working for £180 / day. And looking at the rates on Jobserve for Canary Wharf at present, I don't think I'll be working for Indian rates anytime soon.
                      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                      X