• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Follow-up letters etc.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunnery Sergeant Highway
    Why not? You haven't signed a contract so you're free to write a letter to anyone you like. If you get the contract the letter is irrelevant anyway. If you don't where is your obligation to the agent?
    Yep, maybe you'd better check your implied contract with the agency then, since they own the relationship and not you. You have a duty of care over that relationship when you agree to go to the interview.

Comment

Originally posted by boredsenseless
      Yep, maybe you'd better check your implied contract with the agency then, since they own the relationship and not you. You have a duty of care over that relationship when you agree to go to the interview.
      But we're not talking about that relationship, we're talking about a potential future relationship that doesn't exist yet and might never exist. Or are you saying that because an agent sends you to a client for one interview your "implied contract and duty of care" means you can only ever approach that client through that agent for the rest of time?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        I did this once & got a bollocking from the agency.
        So? Feck em! In one ear and out the other. Cnuts!!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          I did this once & got a bollocking from the agency.
          I hope you told them to go screw themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnery Sergeant Highway
            I hope you told them to go screw themselves.
            I'm not saying I wouldn't do it I'm just saying that "you shouldn't do it" however what anyone chooses to do is up to them, but if you ask for advice you should also be given the 'wholly correct' answer even if it is unlikely ever to be done.

Comment

So are you saying the wholly correct situation is that once an agency introduces you to a client your "implied contract and duty of care" forbids you from ever talking to that client again about anything without involving that agency?

Comment

It’s normally the case that if you've interviewed through an agency the client cannot contact the contractor. It’s the client the agency can take action against rather than the contractor. Restriction of trade 'n' all means that contractors can essentially contact whom they want to.

Comment

Thank you for clarifying the situation, IT contract agent.

So, go for it, Super.

Comment

Agencies and clients

I have to agree with the consensus here.

Agencies demand no loyalty whatsoever. Especially when they submit you for the interview stage, they have not even got you a job yet. And 90% of the work is done by you anyway.
                    In my opinion, if the agency aren't swift enough to chase up the contract and let you know, they don't deserve any respect.

Comment

Mostly the client will have made up their mind before you even leave the interview. Some fawning follow up letter won't make a bit of difference. You can try too hard in these situations.

Plus if it is genuinely a BonS role giving it all the "Thankyou for giving my company the chance to pitch for the work" is going to make you look a bit of a to5ser.
                      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Working...
                      X