• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I hate waiting for the call

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    the guy who got the job isn't waiting for the call ...
    I finally got a call today after a phone interview yesterday morning, convinced I'd failed. Agent sounded very morose, listed a couple of doubts the client had about me, and told me another guy had expert knowledge which they needed... then finally said that they are still in the process of deciding because the other guy was missing some skills which I do have. So now I'm back to waiting, with the knowledge that I didn't completely blow it and am in with a good chance... but that that will make it worse when I finally do get the nix - probably at around ten to six on Friday evening, going by past experience.

Comment

I once waited 2 weeks to hear that I'd been offered a PM contract with a media company I really wanted to work for. Two bloody weeks. I had to turn it down by that stage though for other reasons.

Someone else I know had a similar experience with them. It does happen, admittedly not often. I also had an interview with a company before Christmas (for a permanent job). They turned me down. Then offered me a permanent job in another location. I said "nope". Then yesterday agent asked me to interview for the same company but somewhere else for a permanent role. At the interview for what I thought was a permanent role they suggested I could contract with them and will let me know tomorrow.

I think what I'm trying to say is you never know, and if you try for long enough something may stick. And agents aren't always lying when they say "they did like you but you're not quite right for that role".

And meant to say... I think in this market employers can pick and choose and bide their time, not always a bad thing, just produces unexpected results.
      Last edited by northernrampage; 18 February 2010, 00:52. Reason: something to add

Comment

Originally posted by northernrampage View Post
        I once waited 2 weeks to hear that I'd been offered a PM contract with a media company I really wanted to work for. Two bloody weeks. I had to turn it down by that stage though for other reasons.

Someone else I know had a similar experience with them. It does happen, admittedly not often. I also had an interview with a company before Christmas (for a permanent job). They turned me down. Then offered me a permanent job in another location. I said "nope". Then yesterday agent asked me to interview for the same company but somewhere else for a permanent role. At the interview for what I thought was a permanent role they suggested I could contract with them and will let me know tomorrow.

I think what I'm trying to say is you never know, and if you try for long enough something may stick. And agents aren't always lying when they say "they did like you but you're not quite right for that role".

And meant to say... I think in this market employers can pick and choose and bide their time, not always a bad thing, just produces unexpected results.
        If it's any consolation, often the agents are waiting for the call too - I'm in that situation right now - new job, second time round the process (first one ended in client pulling out after 3 weeks of leading me round the houses), decision promised this morning, doesn't make the nerves any better to be honest.

There's no cure to that gut wrenching feeling - I've been doing this for a long time now, and I still get the butterflies waiting for decisions - in this example, it's my livelihood too........
        "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
        SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

And it isnt just waiting for the interview result call! Been submitted for a role and agent Im on good terms with said he'd let me know asap if Ive got an interview.

4 days later and no call so I phoned up today. Client is still umming and aahing so have to wait a while longer!

Oh well, its Euro lottery night tomorrow!
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by northernrampage View Post
            Their No.1 choice didn't work out.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              Their No.1 choice didn't work out.
              Or 2nd and 3rd!
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
                If it's any consolation, often the agents are waiting for the call too - I'm in that situation right now - new job, second time round the process (first one ended in client pulling out after 3 weeks of leading me round the houses), decision promised this morning, doesn't make the nerves any better to be honest.

There's no cure to that gut wrenching feeling - I've been doing this for a long time now, and I still get the butterflies waiting for decisions - in this example, it's my livelihood too........
                yeah... you're right about that. I don't think the client I saw recently bothered to tell the agent they wanted to recruit me on a contract.

Of course, I jumped at that. The agent by this point is sounding fed-up... as I think they are either based on the permanent recruitment team or won't get that much commission for me on a short-term contract. I do think the client should have discussed this with the agent first to be honest.

Who knows. May not get it anyway. Sometimes I think clients either have no idea who they are looking for or budgets just get pulled all the time. I suppose it drives both sides mad as you say.
                Last edited by northernrampage; 18 February 2010, 21:20. Reason: i am repeating myself

Comment

Give the clientco person who interviewed you a call and say that the agency (they are paying for,) have not informed you of the interview result. Ask the clientco to let you know whether you were successful - and if you were not, what their reasons were for not hiring you.

It will also highlight the fact the agency are doing a pretty poor job.

Comment

Working...
                  X