• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency want my NI number before send my CV to client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency want my NI number before send my CV to client

Hi,

spoke to an agency last week about a role. Money was ok and they were keen to send my cv to the client but they want my national insurance number.

What the hell for? It's not as if I've had a job offer.

I don't understand for what purpose it serves.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Originally posted by strawberrysmoothie View Post

Can anyone enlighten me?
    It's a weak way of "proving" you're eligible to work in the UK.

It doesn't, obviously, but agency HR/legal aren't always the sharpest sandwich in the picnic.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Give them a fake one i.e. scramble your digits.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Hi,

spoke to an agency last week about a role. Money was ok and they were keen to send my cv to the client but they want my national insurance number.

What the hell for? It's not as if I've had a job offer.

I don't understand for what purpose it serves.

Can anyone enlighten me?
        Is this ardeco? They were the preferred agency at my last client although I wasnt through them but they kept asking for my NI number.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

No. its not aredeco (I would say who they were, but not sure what the policy is about that sort of thing) .

I frankly can't see the point the question. it's bloody stupid.

I won't lie, I'm tempted to give them a made NI number.

Comment

No. its not aredeco (I would say who they were, but not sure what the policy is about that sort of thing) .

I frankly can't see the point the question. it's bloody stupid.

I won't lie, I'm tempted to give them a made NI number.
            Then do it.

If you search on this board there was a recent thread about NI numbers. Consensus was that:
            1. That agencies has no need for the number what so ever
            2. That you are advised from another government agency not to give people who don't need your NI number your NI number
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I have had a similar issue where they are asking for passport details/driving license details.

I just tell them that I will provide details once I get an offer.

They have also asked for references prior to sending my CV. I think this is a dodgy way of getting contacts in companies so they can pester them for openings.

Again, I just tell them that I will not give out references unless I get an offer, or at least an interview.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Then do it.

If you search on this board there was a recent thread about NI numbers. Consensus was that:
                1. That agencies has no need for the number what so ever
                2. That you are advised from another government agency not to give people who don't need your NI number your NI number
                thanks sue ellen, I like number 2 i will tell them that.

Comment

Working...
                X