• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching from Permanent to Contracting!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you need to consider all the financial implications of how much your permie role is worth in its complete state
    Salary, holiday dates, sick days, bonuses & incentives etc and combine all them up to an approximate daily rate. Compare that against an average daily rate out there from many of the fake crappy job ads on each job board.
    then.....do some rough calculations on the amount of tax (personal & corp) you'd pay, any fees such as accountants etc, deduct holiday dates etc.

If you're still better off financially by going contracting at the mo then you're on a crap salary!

Comment

Your right in the fact that obvious questions require obvious answers.

The answer in is how marketable are you when at the current time a large amount of contractors, with contracting experience of multiple blue chip organisations cant get positions then what makes you believe you are able to do so.

For example if you have worked in your last role for the past 10 years in some tulipty little software house and recently gained certification then you wont stand a chance against some of the more experienced testers out there. I am wondering if you have recently been working along side contractors on a project and you have been smitten by the rates they were on.The fact that this question is being asked demonstrates a lack of understanding of the risk contractors take daily or current market awareness.

You also have to remember that the majority of us contractors struggle to get our CV's read now for jobs that we are qualified to do due to the increase of people on the bench or from non UK based people applying off spec. With this in mind how would you expect for an agent to even return your call when you advise you have four weeks notice, no contracting experience and there are other people that are free and available today.

So in a nutshell, jobs are scarce, people are plentiful and skilled and there is still a recession on. You have a permanent job which is better than some than I know at present. With regards to waiting until January, if there s something you know that I don't then please share with all. January is one of the worst months (just after Christmas) and I certainly haven't seen any green shoots out there ;0)
      ---------------------------------------------------
      Recruitment consultants were sent to punish us all!

Comment

You could always apply for a role in Kabul . High turnover means an ongoing demand for staff .

But first - I just need two references prior to submitting your CV ...

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
          Best thing is to quit your permanent job. No one will take you seriously unless you're free to start a contract immediately. And make sure you've got two references available from your last position.
          This is obviously the only realistic answer. If someone's not prepared to do their research and see how tight the market is, then the only solution is to let them find out through experience.
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Working...
          X