• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How are contractors perceived when they apply for permanent jobs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bombaycat View Post
    Well yes I am aware of that which is very irritating, I even had a pimp tell me in 2003 that contracting was dead and I'd better go permie - I laughed in his face rejected his permie offer and got myself a contract.
    I actually meant that I normally get it from clientco mostly and during contracts at every renewal. Have never quite understood why as I would have thought it was more expensive for them to have a permie than a contractor. Always managed to sidestep it so far, I think it may be that they think they have some kind of tax exposure - probably the pimp tells them this I don't know - stupid really.
    Ive had 2 calls saying something similar - would you consider going perm and if so what would you want. Lol - as soon as you answer the latter question the call ends

Comment

Originally posted by bombaycat View Post
      I actually meant that I normally get it from clientco mostly and during contracts at every renewal. Have never quite understood why as I would have thought it was more expensive for them to have a permie than a contractor. Always managed to sidestep it so far, I think it may be that they think they have some kind of tax exposure - probably the pimp tells them this I don't know - stupid really.
      I think it's probably more to do with the company procedures.

If a manager really wants to keep you, he knows that if you are a contractor, somewhere down the line, the company will have a contractor freeze and you will be out, regardless of how useful you are.

If you are a perm, this won't happen quite so easily

tim

Comment

An important distinction is that so called 'perm' staff have an average tenure of - well last time I looked at the stats - of about 2 years in a job before they move on - interesting stat to quote if you are put into a corner when quizzed qbout your suitability as an ex-contractor for a 'perm' position.

My experience is that contractors tend to be viewed by the perm staff as as being James Bond -DareDevil types - well some are at least.
        Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 16 January 2009, 11:13.

Comment

One of the things that convinced me that contracting was the way forward was experiencing how little loyalty most companies have towards their staff.

Slightest hint of trouble and "head count reductions" are announced

I know a few people who have been "sacked" under some very dubious circumstances - i.e. if they can sack staff instead of laying off then they will
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Permie

Permie - works for compnay
            Contractor -works for himself ...

Comment

Originally posted by VladimirPutin View Post
              Permie - works for compnay
              Contractor -works for himself ...
              contractor: one who doesn't have to put up with company politicking and bulltulipe
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Clientco currently talking about taking me on permie. Hence I am applying for permie jobs to put against them. So far no other interest : presumably as I have been contract for 20+ years?

I have 2 contract jobs : please god let me get one of them so I dont have t go to the dark side.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I have 2 contract jobs : please god let me get one of them so I dont have t go to the dark side.
                  Buy a petrol-powered electricity generator (DC, not AC) and some good heavy duty jump leads and a roll of thick, heavy duty tape.

Wire the generator up to either side of your forehead using the jump leads and the tape. Fire up the generator.

By the time you've been rescued, you'll be thoroughly One-Flew-Over-the-Cuckoo's-Nest material, and ready to go permie.

Ask Wilmslow for tips on coping.
                  Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

As a contractor you'll often make the first interview round, but you'll struggle in many places to get the role.

They'll want to hear about your technical prowess and wide experience, but mostly they'll want to gloat at the pitiful sight of a hot-shot contractor forced to hold a begging bowl at the table of permiedom.
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Clientco currently talking about taking me on permie. Hence I am applying for permie jobs to put against them. So far no other interest : presumably as I have been contract for 20+ years?

Don't go to the dark side Brillo, think of the rubbish money, the silly political games to get next promotion, the yearly appraisal process (that should send a massive shiver down your spine), having to interview endless people who can barely string a sentence together, the checklists and spreadsheet jockys trying to feel in control - the meetings!!!! I could go on - but I've just been sick in my mouth....

stay with us BP...

I've had a verbal offer of contract (waiting for paperwork) so could be removing bum from bench fairly soon - with a bit of luck. They wanted me permie but I ducked and dived effectively - agent couldn't hide his surprise/horror....made me snigger....
                      The Cat

Comment

Working...
                      X