• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Kinda funny this thread... People are pushing to Opt In and part of Opt In the agent is obliged by the legislation to take, and check references properly... So we want that option we are going to have to start giving references without complaining. Agents can't win really lol...
    I've had references checked only when offered a gig. The difference is when you get asked before been even put forward, in my example the idiot in question was asking me for "where I was interviewing" and would not put me forward unless I fessed up.

I have had someone try it on with a valid gig, when I refused to give names, they still put me forward, I got the gig, and references were never checked, despite it being part of the clientco SLA,

If its part of a referencing process when a gig has been offered then fine, but it if you ring me up about a role that doesn't exist then I'm going to town on you! I suppose for every person that knows about fishing, then there's a newbie that will happily give them the details.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Just had an interesting escalation of this theme.

Indian agency called with an almost perfect role for me that was clearly made up from my CV's detail, £100p/d higher rate than my usual top end and generous terms. When I agreed that it was a good role, he said that to disclose the client company's name he had to gain their prior approval due to the confidential nature of the project. The "prior approval" form he had to complete had 5 years of references and also client contact details for any interviews I have scheduled in the next two weeks, he also wanted full access to my contacts on LinkedIn to help establish my "credibility".

He couldn't understand why I'd want to risk not being put forward for such an exceptional role by not giving them all the information he needed. He also said that he couldn't use previous agencies as my reference point as they were "not reliable or consistently honest". Oh dear.

Comment

Got an agent putting me forward for a bank role on Wednesday, said that in order to put me on the portal they required references from 4 previous places, interviews were on Friday. Yeah Right.

Not even Goldman Sachs ask for references up front. He has already sent his CV quota and was fishing.

Comment

This just in from PyramidCI on email (is that like Magnum PI?!):

Hope you are doing good. Below is the list of permanent SAP positions I have.

Please circulate this email to your known contacts by marking CC to me in the email. Look forward to your help on this one
          Right you are Chief.

Comment

What about providing PhotoID to confirm identity, I've just been asked for that as well as 2 refs.
            Is that something you would normally send to an agent?

Thx

Comment

Originally posted by Gmotagi View Post
              What about providing PhotoID to confirm identity, I've just been asked for that as well as 2 refs.
              Is that something you would normally send to an agent?

Thx
              Yep, pretty standard. Either passport of UK photo drivers license. I did tell one agent to do one when they said my passport looked like a picture and not scanned. I said it was a jpeg WTF does it matter?
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
                This just in from PyramidCI on email (is that like Magnum PI?!):

Right you are Chief.
                The more novel the reference request approach, the more obvious is as a scam but there must be some of contractors (but none who post here) who fall for it or the practice would die out.

Comment

References as easy just pay me

In Canada where I lived a long time the Iranian Immigrants had a hard time getting jobs as they wold not accept their qualifications.They used to pay people to given them references.You can pay me I will tell them anything you want want.It will cost you 200 pounds a month as long as you want.I worked for CSIS and I cannot even put it on a CV as I signed a security contrast and am bound by security laws.I was talking to CIA in Virginia daily on Cyber Security threats daily for years and I cannot even put that on a CV. Bulltulip baffles brains so tell the headhunters, company's what they want to hear.Only thing is when you get on their Network learn really fast and have a mentor you can phone in case of a emergency.Even use this forum.You get fired so what just go on to the next job.CV's resume's Internet job searches references are crap anyway
                  Last edited by Anonymous2012; 17 March 2013, 10:30.

Comment

Its not what you know its who you know that get you a job

Like Sir John Sawers
                    Please contact the Recruitment Office on 0845 450 2152 or [email protected] who will be able to help you.
                    They will not give you his cell number I wll

Comment

Another one

Originally posted by Anonymous2012 View Post
                      Like Sir John Sawers
                      Please contact the Recruitment Office on 0845 450 2152 or [email protected] who will be able to help you.
                      They will not give you his cell number I wll
                      Kevin Mitnick
                      Mitnick Security Consulting, LLC
                      Phone: 702-940-9881

2564 Wigwam Parkway
                      Suite 116
                      Henderson, NV 89074

Email us at kmitnick AT mitnicksecurity.com

Comment

Working...
                      X