• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Would you mind if I use your good self as a reference ?
    Most certainly my friend. I would be happy to be your referee for 1% of the gross contract value. The same applies to anyone else here as well. I am very convincing and can put any spin you like on my pitch on your behalf.

Comment

I also just had an agent cold-call, discuss my requirements and then request 2 references because "it's company policy". Stupidly and naively I gave him genuine names of past managers.

Does that mean those managers are now likely to get hassled by this plonker, thereby making them less likely to give me a reference if I ever really did need one?

PS - Agency in question was SCOM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kess View Post
        I also just had an agent cold-call, discuss my requirements and then request 2 references because "it's company policy". Stupidly and naively I gave him genuine names of past managers.

Does that mean those managers are now likely to get hassled by this plonker, thereby making them less likely to give me a reference if I ever really did need one?

They approached me a few weeks ago for a job somewhere... can't remember where now... They asked me to fill in a profile style docment relating to a string of jobs. 2 things that go me. Why did they send me the details to an account that I rarely use (despite me telling them to use my new email address)? And why did they ask me to fill in this document that they could fill in themselves? I told them that the document was too complex and wished them luck in finding someone. The jobs were allegedly starting in March 09. I suspected that they were fishing. I'm glad it isn't just me that think they are plonkers.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kess View Post

You can bet your references have been called by the agent in question - but dont worry about it - your name will not have been mentioned- he just wants to know if there is any business to be had.

So it goes.

So - youve nothing to worry about it.

Unless - you told him where you are currently contracting ??
          Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 25 August 2008, 10:35.

Comment

Hi Folks

References are not always an automatic call option for agents. These days most references supplied are either HR or other agencies (I have supplied references for quite a few of my old contractor's). The reason for this is that most company's representative's for example your old manager are not allowed to give references any longer (other than personal references) due to company policy to avoid legal issues arising from the "bad reference/defemation of character".

Line manager names are easily gathered from the majority of agency databases by simply searching for "Test Manager", "Development Manager", "Support Manager" etc. Most agency databases will now be prolific witih line manager names, the need to "fish" for names is virtually non existent unless said "Agent" is a start up working from home.
            I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

I'm getting really fed up with pimps trying to get info off me.

I list the Agency I'm working through on my CV as my employer for my current gig

How about this for lazy?

Had a pimp call me Wednesday with no job who then sent me the following Email with what looks like his script as an attachment

Your details are on our database as a candidate who is actively looking at opportunities within the IT Support market. This is the reason that you will have received automated emails about local opportunities.

If you are looking for work, to help me understand what you are looking for please fill in the below details. This will assist me greatly in finding your next permanent role.

Please also find attached a further sheet to fill in so that i can attain an overall grasp of your situation and thus be in a stronger position to find you a relevant role.

On receipt of this, I will then get in touch to discuss a face to face meeting/telephone interview, with the relevant consultant for the area that you work within.

1. What is your current situation?

2. Please state current/last job title

3. If you are in work, what is your notice period?

4. If you are in work, what is the business name?

5. If you are in work, who is your current manager?

6. If not in work, the names and contact details of a technical referee.

7. What time frame or distance would you be willing to travel to work?

8. What salary and benefits are you looking for (please cite flexibility on this)

9.Any names of companies that you would like us to avoid i.e. past employer/a business that you are interviewing at currently.
              10. The names of others who are also actively looking in the marketplace.

Whilst I am awaiting your feedback, you will still continue to receive emails about other permanent vacancies that Huxley are looking at.
              Attachment

ADVERT DETAILS
              Ad Title Responded to
              Web site responded through
              Ad ref. Number:

PERSONAL DETAILS
              Name:
              DOB:
              Sex:
              Nationality:
              Work Permit:
              Highest Educational Award:

CONTACT DETAILS
              Contact Number:
              Daytime:
              Evening:
              Email:

PRESENT SITUATION
              Present/Last Company:
              Company Address:
              Manager:
              Current Salary:
              Notice Period:

YOUR SEARCH
              Reason for looking for work:
              How long have you been looking?
              Salary Sought:
              Who have you interviewed with?
              What was the feedback?
              Ideal Role?

REFERENCE
              As part of our Service Level Agreements with a number of clients we are required to check one reference before submitting the CV for consideration. Please include details of a CONTACTABLE reference below:

Previous Manager Ref.:
              Company Name:
              Company Location:
              Contact Details:

Comment

Opus Recruitment Solutions Ltd

Just had some dickhead chasing me Friday and yesterday about a gig in Africa, although this schmooze was more sophisticated than most; my first email to him was the usual, "No referees before 1st physical client interview/ Lead-hunters will be reported" etc, he decided to use a staggered approach and just discuss terms, money etc. Softly, softly.

Lets me stew on it over the weekend, then yesterday morning, 8.15am and hoping to catch me groggy,

"Spoke to the client, he deffo wants to interview you, Rah Rah Shish-boom-bahh!! Just a couple of questions, are you a British national?"

"Yep" (bloody well says so on my cv!!)

"Ok, he seems to know one of your last environment quite well, and he just wants some reassurance that you've actually worked there, could you give me the name of your boss so I can run it by him?"

Nice. That's more imagination than they usually display.

Of course, he's not actually asking for a referee - so I don't give him one. Needless to say, he toddled back off, tail firmly between legs.

So, if this gang of Bristol-based wallys call you, especially if represented by a particularly speedy welsh windbag (no offence to our Welsh brethren), steer clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Another Dodgy Agent View Post
                  Hi Folks

References are not always an automatic call option for agents. These days most references supplied are either HR or other agencies (I have supplied references for quite a few of my old contractor's). The reason for this is that most company's representative's for example your old manager are not allowed to give references any longer (other than personal references) due to company policy to avoid legal issues arising from the "bad reference/defemation of character".

Line manager names are easily gathered from the majority of agency databases by simply searching for "Test Manager", "Development Manager", "Support Manager" etc. Most agency databases will now be prolific witih line manager names, the need to "fish" for names is virtually non existent unless said "Agent" is a start up working from home.
                  That is (with respect fellow dodgy ) complete boll**ks. New Cvs with fresh references are much easier to exploit than trawling through databases looking for names. Putting the words "test manager" does not give you a list of line managers who have actively recruited in the last year. Such a search gives you people with "test" and "manager" on their CVs which is entirely different. The consultant then, having run the search has to sort out the line managers from those that once "managed to pull a bird" or "managed to get out of bed on time". Once that task has been completed it is then highly likely that the CVs are 2-200 years out of date and the "manager" is elsewhere.

Agents will always go for for the path of least resistance, and the chances of picking up a requirement from a line manager who is about to lose someone, who's name and telephone number are readily available are far greater than digging out names from an out of date database.

Fishing for references and sales leads is a key part of many sales agents KPIs.
                  Last edited by DodgyAgent; 12 September 2008, 16:30.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    Fishing for references and sales leads is a key part of many sales agents KPIs.
                    no tulip.....we hate it....please stop.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                      no tulip.....we hate it....please stop.
                      No we don't want them to stop. We want more reasons to blacklist them.
                      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                      X