• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Got a call today from and agent with what sounded like a great contract prospect. Rate confirmed, client co confirmed, address of office confirmed, contract length confirmed.

Then they asked me to meet them to prep for an interview this week and asked for two past references. Haven't had this pulled on me for a while but it seems to still be happening.

Have they invented the whole role and would it be best to stay clear?
    Unless there's a confirmed interview, date, time etc...with a line manager, then give them nothing.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Odds are that role does not exist (there are exceptions obviously) and even if it does still no guarantee client will want to see you never mind hire you

It’s a tactic generally seen pulled by larger agency’s (ones with “Computer” in their name or the like of Hays) on people they feel might be newbies with lots of potential leads. With a face to face “chat” they can get more out of people without putting their guard up

It really comes down to common sense, while it would be good due diligence for agents to interview and background check every candidate they are going to submit to clients (never mind also a legal required, Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Business Regulations 2003) it’s just not realistic, too many candidates, too many roles, too little time.

Agents much prefer to spend their time looking for contract roles, so if they are using up time to interview contractors it’s in the pursuit contracts, not checking out contractors

Comment

Got a call today from and agent with what sounded like a great contract prospect. Rate confirmed, client co confirmed, address of office confirmed, contract length confirmed.

Then they asked me to meet them to prep for an interview this week and asked for two past references. Haven't had this pulled on me for a while but it seems to still be happening.

I've been to 2-3 of these and it was a complete waste of time. Explain that you cannot get the time away from your current client to attend their interview prep, and your referees have requested that they are only contacted if you are offered a job.
        It might be a real one!
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Thanks. Thought as much. Pushed back on the references and he wants to meet me still. I have asked him to meet me for a coffee just across from my office. Will see as am about 75% sure it will lead to nothing but I can manage one early morning just to speak to him and test the waters.

My references would not want to be references at all if their time was abused by agents phishing that I am sure about.

Comment

Got the same sh*te just now!....

Agency: Can't give out the client's name but we need 2 references for urgent contract starting next week

Me: By law you have to tell me who I'm being put forward for as I have interviews already lined up

Agency: Tell me who you have an interview with and I'll tell you if its them

Me: No - I need to know the client

Agency: They have asked me not to tell anyone - they want helpful people

Me: You're having a laugh - p*ss orf

Agency: Brrrrrrrr

Comment

Another trick I have noticed agents doing is to make it appear that you are so 100% for the role, that you would be a fool not to give them references.

They do this by looking at your CV in detail and picking out small bits and pieces out from it - and then present them to you as the "detailed client requirements". It then sounds like you're a dead cert for the role, because you are a perfect fit for them.

So when they ask for references at the end of the conversation, you feel less inclined to tell them where to go, because it sounds like you're turning down a plumb role.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                Another trick I have noticed agents doing is to make it appear that you are so 100% for the role, that you would be a fool not to give them references.

They do this by looking at your CV in detail and picking out small bits and pieces out from it - and then present them to you as the "detailed client requirements". It then sounds like you're a dead cert for the role, because you are a perfect fit for them.

So when they ask for references at the end of the conversation, you feel less inclined to tell them where to go, because it sounds like you're turning down a plumb role.
                Doesn't matter what these guys say, at the end of the day, if they pull the reference bs, then I'm not interested.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I've just had some fun on the phone with this.

Looks like the new graduates have started and are hunting for leads. Shame they don't know how to use a search engine.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Get References from whichever agency got you the relevent contracts so you don't need to supply the agency pimp with IT contacts

Comment

Originally posted by geoffreywhereveryoumaybe View Post
                      Get References from whichever agency got you the relevent contracts so you don't need to supply the agency pimp with IT contacts
                      Then you will get "We can't accept other agencies as references!" All it means it is time for you to put the phone down.

Anyway my little fun has continued with the agency.

They told one of my contacts who was playing along with me that they had placed me a few weeks ago in a role.

I therefore phoned the pimp up who suddenly wasn't available.

He then rang me and back tracked wildly.

Interesting that they are a member of REC and on RECs complaints page they state they won't deal with members of the public using "offensive or harassing language"
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X