• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Agreed.

If I were to apply for a permy role, would the employer insist on two references before interview?

Nope?
    I will also add that no ex manager is going to say negative things about any ex employee/contractor for fear of litigation.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      I will also add that no ex manager is going to say negative things about any ex employee/contractor for fear of litigation.
      I’ve been asked to give references for people on several occasions. I have a vested interest in giving them a good reference as they’re likely to remember that if they get the job, which is very useful for any future business I may wish to do with them.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Venn Group

A year or two ago I got interview for a contract role via The Venn Group. What they do is even more sneaky is that they ask you to come into their offices first "to see if you look professional and to give you advice on the interview" (I've been contracting for over 12 years, so been on more than a few).

When you actually get there they go through your CV and say, per job, "ah, did you work for X there at all?", "No", "oh, he must have moved on. So (readying this pen) who is there now?".... repeat per contract on your CV. Jeez.

At the beginning of this year I got another interview via those guys again. Same thing, i.e "you need to come in to see us first". Needless to say I refused, even if it cost me the client interview (I found something else, thankfully, a week later).

I have spoken to loads of agencies who do stuff like "Mmm I wish I could talk about the client and the job, but they client has requested to protect their identity that they need the references first".

Another one last month, Ravello, called to talk about a job at Sky. He spent about one minute talking about how great I was and a good fit for the role, but then spent the next 10 minutes talking about getting references and how it smooths processes, even saying it made for good business sense to tell him - wtf! The irony was than an hour later Venn called about the same job....:-)

Comment

I've been asked by a couple of agencies to meet up with them, usually requiring me to travel to meet them. I always say no, as unless a role has been offered and they require ID in person, there is nothing to be gained from it.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

referances

We all know they are after contact details of your last employers, for whatever reason.

I have now started to provide my LinkedIn profile as an early reference, only when a post/interview have been organised will I give them the contact details.

The nice thing about LinkedIn is that you can people to endorse or recommend you, so I normally tell the agency that the people recommending me will give a reference

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
            Been out now for 3 months - 1 month was moving house and sat on my hole for the last 2. Usual story, Jobserved to death, and now dealing with the cretins.

Over the last month, nearly every agency has asked for two references before they will "put me forward". Now I didn't come down in the last shower, so I've refused thus far. You want the name of someone in my ex company who works in IT - ring reception you lazy twat?

I've just got off the phone with another guy, who after giving me the usual pie in the sky job spec (Yeah, PM job in the city, dude) had a standoff viz revealing my referees. However, and as much as I don't want to believe it, he seemed genuine enough that the company needed two references.

I've worked in IT long enough to smell agency horse manure from 1,000 yards, but it got just wanted to see if anyone on here has had a similar reference request which turned out to be genuine?

Comment

I got the "2 references and passport details" nonsense for a role that they someone is putting me forward for.

The reply was a short shrift, references direct to client only on offer of contract and passport details will not be provided as it is mycos responsibility as a limited company to check that its employees have the necessary documentation to work in the uk.

If they don't put me forward, I'll just contact one of the line managers I know there and put myself forward.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                I got the "2 references and passport details" nonsense for a role that they someone is putting me forward for.

The reply was a short shrift, references direct to client only on offer of contract and passport details will not be provided as it is mycos responsibility as a limited company to check that its employees have the necessary documentation to work in the uk.

If they don't put me forward, I'll just contact one of the line managers I know there and put myself forward.
                If you already know the line managers there and can go direct, why are you even bothering with the agency?
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  If you already know the line managers there and can go direct, why are you even bothering with the agency?
                  My mate is not the direct line manger and even if I go direct these guys insist on putting you through via one of the agencies on their psl.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

had the same things a couple of days ago. I just laughed to myself and told him can't give these details as my references have stipulated that they can't be contacted unless there is a job offer on the table and they want to be contacted by post (recorded delivery).

the agent just went'.......oh....'

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      Yup. One of my ex-colleagues was asked to give references as the manager of someone we knew was lazy and a pervert (though his tendency to try and grope female colleagues at Christmas dos may/may not have had a bearing on his work skills)... and he didn't say anything negative.

He said he just answered the phone queries from the HR person in a non-committal fashion. Because of litigation fears.

He has cracking Linkedin references though. And sounds like a great asset to any team on his profile.

Comment

Working...
                      X