• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL, had that loads of times. Toying with them now.

Comment

What's the deal with overseas agents?
      I had one in Zurich saying he needs two references before interview stage.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
        What's the deal with overseas agents?
        I had one in Zurich saying he needs two references before interview stage.
        I think that a lot of the agents are trying every means possible to get contacts and their foot through previously unopened doors at the moment. I've had loads of conversations with agents of late but virtually everything seems like utter rubbish and certainly hasn't lead to any interviews.

I'm getting pretty damn sick and tired of all of the bullsh*t to be honest...
        Signatures.....what's the point?

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCD View Post
          I'm getting pretty damn sick and tired of all of the bullsh*t to be honest...
          Its not even amusing to me anymore. Wish they'd just p*ss off with these tactics.

I've given serious thought to answering my phone with "is this a real contract? because I'm about to go bankrupt so I don't need timewasters right now"

Of course things aren't that bad but it may force the phishers to show some humanity, then politely shrivel up and return to their dark holes. Then again, I think some agencies would take insult from this and refuse to deal with me again.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            Just received this:

You click on the link and it goes on to ask for previous contract info plus references.
            Had that exact same one this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              Its not even amusing to me anymore. Wish they'd just p*ss off with these tactics.

I've given serious thought to answering my phone with "is this a real contract? because I'm about to go bankrupt so I don't need timewasters right now"

Of course things aren't that bad but it may force the phishers to show some humanity, then politely shrivel up and return to their dark holes. Then again, I think some agencies would take insult from this and refuse to deal with me again.
              insult....no....

they'll note your desperation and quote lower rates next week when they do have a role, or not phone you at all.

yes, it's annoying, bite your lip and realise dealing with them is a necessary cost of doing business.

Comment

I know 99% of these calls are scams but in fairness I have to say my current contract necessitated me supplying two references upfront.
                The agent in question (I'm not sure if we're allowed to name names here) is a stand-up bloke though, and he mentioned my previous managers name first in the conversation, so he wasn't just after fresh contacts.
                I'm just saying that there are some genuine cases.

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                  WTF has the agency staff got to do with humanity?
                  There is something depressing about (nearly) entire industry filled with lying scamming cheats...

Comment

Please also prepare 2 references

The project will be based in Luxembourg . English Speaking. I am looking for strong experienced candidates. If you feel you can fit the role please call or email immediately. Please also prepare 2 references, there is no need to send these just yet But, if selected I will need to speak / email these tomorrow.

Comment

References issue

Agencies for contractors dont just ask for refs just to get leads, any agency worth their salt wanting leads will use the likes of linked in due to the fact that the person who you give as a reference is probably your best mate in the office and wouldn't lie anyway or the ref will be some jumped up idiot in HR.

1 of the main reasons is that fast paced agencies need to qualify that the contractor isn't a mad man because the client needs them onsite within a matter of hours.

The consultant needs to be able to honestly say to the client that the engineer has been checked out thouroughly so as not to make themselves look stupid and lose business if the contactor is an idiot.

If the job requires a lengthy interview process etc, then some of the threads below are right, you would only need to give refs when an offer is given.

Comment

Working...
                      X