• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NYRethink View Post
    I'll clear up this situation now with some facts.

Recruitment Agencies are regulated and as part of the REC and BERR regulations they must be able to demonstrate several pieces of infomation in their audit trail.

This does include the ability to demonstrate why a CV has been submitted to a role.

At the Agency that I work at (Rethink Recruitment) we need to have the following information before we can submit a shortlist to our clients...this is for every person that we put forward.

The infomation is:

1. Request copy of ID – must be eligible
    2. Send ‘Opt Out/Out In’ template
    3. Send email template to candidate explaining that ReThink are acting as an Employment Business and requesting they confirm ReThink can represent them
    4. Two references must be be taken on every contractor submitted

I know that agencies have a bad name but it is now a legal requirement for them to be able to show due diligence when/if they are audited.

I'd be suspicous of someone asking for this infomation on the first call..unless you are the perfect match. Chances are that an agent will speak to you, run through some brief details about the role and yourself. Hang up. Asess you and the others and then call back to gain the rest of the information for them to be compliant.

If you really want to check whether they are lying or not contact your referrees and find out what was asked of them. The agent should be asessing your suitability for the role based on your referees information. If they are not - report them to the REC - thats what it is there for.

Take heart..this is designed to ensure that clients are getting the right people and are not just spammed with CV's.

Finally if the agent does ask your referee if they recruit you can hardly blame them - its probably how they got the job that they are putting you forward to in the 1st place.

Nick
    There is NO reason whatsoever why an agency should take out a reference on a contractor before submitting the CV. Not only is it not a legal requirement it is not logical for an agency to waste so much time when probably only one in ten CVs submitted end up being placed. My agency only takes up a reference if an offer is made and verbally accepted.

Whilst you (lying or deluded) agents may squeal that at worst we are leaving ourselves potential "last minute" problems, then I will ask- just how many references turn out "sour"? Very very very very very few.

I will say to you contractors that these agencies who are insisting on pre submission references are simply using references as an excuse to call potential clients.

Having a name of someone in a company is unbelievably useful even if that person is not the direct hirer him/herself.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Given the choice between the official line and the 'dodgy agent', I'm forced to agree with the Dodgy Agent here.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Given the choice between the official line and the 'dodgy agent', I'm forced to agree with the Dodgy Agent here.
        Yup, you can spot these clowns immediately with their "laying down the law" tripe in their first few posts on the board.

Hail Dodgy!

Comment

All the lying from the agencies totally destroyed my faith in humanity...

Comment

Spring have contacted two contractors today asking for passport and reference details. Nothing strange with that but both have been working with the same client for 3 years each!
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by futurix View Post
              All the lying from the agencies totally destroyed my faith in humanity...
              Huh? Why?

WTF has the agency staff got to do with humanity?
              Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

whoops just gave up 2 refs, she was very convincing though. Hopefully something REAL materialises.

I'm usually very strict with the "no references till signed contract"...but have given them out when the contract actually sounds real and they give believable reasons...... although they could be lying...

I'll ask the references later to see if they tried to sell anything when they called.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  There is NO reason whatsoever why an agency should take out a reference on a contractor before submitting the CV. Not only is it not a legal requirement it is not logical for an agency to waste so much time when probably only one in ten CVs submitted end up being placed. My agency only takes up a reference if an offer is made and verbally accepted.
                  Having a name of someone in a company is unbelievably useful even if that person is not the direct hirer him/herself.
                  One of my contracting mates gave an ex employers who he worked for years ago ,name as a reference .

The ex employer then 1 hr later phoned my mate and offered him another contract so the agency lost out and mate got a contract direct without an agency.

Moral of the story - Following up references can back fire.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Whilst you (lying or deluded) agents may squeal that at worst we are leaving ourselves potential "last minute" problems, then I will ask- just how many references turn out "sour"? Very very very very very few.

I will say to you contractors that these agencies who are insisting on pre submission references are simply using references as an excuse to call potential clients.

Exactly - I'm hardly going to give the name of someone who would speak of me in anything but glowing terms - it is on the whole a bluff to get more business.

As for "Rethink Recruitment", I shall have a "Rethink" should I ever have a call from you or stumble upon a contract offered by you.

Finally if the agent does ask your referee if they recruit you can hardly blame them - its probably how they got the job that they are putting you forward to in the 1st place.
                    As for that particular snippet...........what a load of nonsense

And for that reason - I'm out
                    Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
                    I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Just received this:

Hi XXXXXXX

I've seen your CV on Jobserve and have a couple of jobs that potentially look suitable for you, however I could do with a bit more information.

Please click here to enter some more details and help me find you the ideal job.

I look forward to getting the information asap.

Thanks

John
                      You click on the link and it goes on to ask for previous contract info plus references.
                      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X