• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    ADA,

it's not exactly difficult to read the 2 companies names from my CV, look up the phone number, and phone HR themselves?

If it's a specific HR person you mean, then I do not have those, I rarely deal with HR. And if I thought that would satisfy the agent, I'd be happy to collect HR names/number and pass them on.

But, it's always your manager's name, what position did he/she hold etc.

that is where the *sigh* comes from.

Edit: only just noticed, you, an agent, suggesting I pass on an agency contact as a reference?! I thought it was only contractor's that did that to wind you lot up!
    True, but at the same time you may have had dealings with HR whilst working on that contract and so would have a specific name.

Anyhow, stand firm with agents. You need to advise them that your previous line manager's are not willing to provide references, personal, commerical or otherwise as it is against company policy (which is probably true in this day and age). You are happy to steer them towards HR but for preference can provide your previous agents contact details.

Anyone checking your references is purely looking for 'to date', 'end date', anything horrible that happened whilst you were there. i.e. did you harrass one of the PA's to death via email so they had to let you go etc. All of this can and will be revealed by HR/previous agent.

If phishy agent wants more, tell him/her that you cannot provide individual line manager information, its the law!
    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by Another Dodgy Agent View Post
      Sorry to hear that TykeMerc, bloody crappy agents!

I have to admit that I relish the day I retire from recruitment!
      did you only start reading this thread from my post onwards?

Comment

Sorry to hear that TykeMerc, bloody crappy agents!

I have to admit that I relish the day I retire from recruitment!
        Burnt out at 21?

its tough at the top
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

the agent has now replied, and is being very understanding

says we can sort that out IF I'm invited to interview.

Now, I know that I may well not get an interview as there may be better candidates, but either way, I do not believe I'll hear about this role again.

If I do, and things go well, with no more reference chat, I'll be happy to post about a positive experience.......but don't hold your breath!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            did you only start reading this thread from my post onwards?
            LOL, no just reaching the point of realising that until the recruitment industry is properly regulated the likes of me, DA, P1mpAndPrOud etc. who try to do things professionally and ethically are fighting a losing battle.

Hopefully this recession will sort wheat from chaff in terms of agents/agencies.
            I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Burnt out at 21?

its tough at the top

afternoon DA

Comment

LOL, no just reaching the point of realising that until the recruitment industry is properly regulated the likes of me, DA, P1mpAndPrOud etc. who try to do things professionally and ethically are fighting a losing battle.

Hopefully this recession will sort wheat from chaff in terms of agents/agencies.
                Don't get me wrong, taking you at your word, yes I'm sure you guys do decent work, but unfortunately there are too many of bad guys!

Comment

Had it today with 'Venn Group' who insisted that, "we will be unable to forward you for any roles through us unless you come for a face to face interview, bring a copy of your passport AND provide us with two references...".

WHY?!

Surely these Agencies are losing business with this 'policy' and not to mention Venn's nearest office to me is a 200 mile round trip!
                  Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
                    Had it today with 'Venn Group' who insisted that, "we will be unable to forward you for any roles through us unless you come for a face to face interview, bring a copy of your passport AND provide us with two references...".

WHY?!

Surely these Agencies are losing business with this 'policy' and not to mention Venn's nearest office to me is a 200 mile round trip!
                    I did this back in September when I was bored! It only cost me a 3 quid bus ride and was an utter waste of time. I think the young chap who 'interviewed' me quite enjoyed thinking it made him important.
                    An utter waste of time.
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Sadly, it will not. The cheating lying agencies go on and on for decades while those providing a personal service go bust. At least that's what happened during the last two lean periods.
                      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
                      X