• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Face to face interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    That was sort of his point SS. He was saying that over the phone (which is usually not very clear on a conference call) the interviewer may be put off by a local accent. However face to face they would not.

(I'm not saying he's right)

Maybe someone should set up a course for the 'foreigners' to learn some mockney.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Guess I'm lucky (and am incredibly good at what I do, with in demand skills)
      don't forget "modest"
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
        don't forget "modest"
        Indeed - it's on the CV as a key skill
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          Quite depressing really, that people value their 'career' over being close to their family.
          I put being able to earn a living over being close to my family. I work in Scotland (and therefore have to live there) and my sister (and a lot of my friends are in the midlands) live in the west midlands.
          I would give a lot to be able to move back so that I'm closer to my sister but while I'm able to earn money that means having to live where the work is (or quite close to it).
          It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
            I put being able to earn a living over being close to my family. I work in Scotland (and therefore have to live there) and my sister (and a lot of my friends are in the midlands) live in the west midlands.
            I would give a lot to be able to move back so that I'm closer to my sister but while I'm able to earn money that means having to live where the work is (or quite close to it).

The ironic thing is there will be contractors from Scotland working in the midlands for just the same reason. About time someone set up a contract swap site where we just invoke our rights to substitution, and never have to work far from home again!
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
              I have never ever, in 25 years, been considered for a gig in the UK without a face to face.
              I got my current one on just a telephone interview. I had worked at ClientCo before though and got a ref of one of the directors - kinda swung it in my favour.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                The ironic thing is there will be contractors from Scotland working in the midlands for just the same reason. About time someone set up a contract swap site where we just invoke our rights to substitution, and never have to work far from home again!
                I agree. I used to drive into Edinburgh from Ayrshire on a monday morning, together with hundreds of other cars driving from Glasgow to Edinburgh. I would see virtually an identical amount of vehicles driving to work from Edinburgh (or locality) to Glasgow.

Just think of all the petrol saved, not to mention the "reduction in emissions" (sigh), if people could only work in the city in which you lived - or live in the city in which you worked. Obviously there's not a 1-2-1 job match in each city but if a company had to import a skill from outside their city they would have to pay a premium to cover the cost of the journey time of the individual concerned.

It's very much like the time when companies in Japan were "paternal" in providing housing and other amenities for the workers that they employed - i've got an idea that this is no longer the case.
                It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
                  I agree. I used to drive into Edinburgh from Ayrshire on a monday morning, together with hundreds of other cars driving from Glasgow to Edinburgh. I would see virtually an identical amount of vehicles driving to work from Edinburgh (or locality) to Glasgow.

Just think of all the petrol saved, not to mention the "reduction in emissions" (sigh), if people could only work in the city in which you lived - or live in the city in which you worked. Obviously there's not a 1-2-1 job match in each city but if a company had to import a skill from outside their city they would have to pay a premium to cover the cost of the journey time of the individual concerned.

It's very much like the time when companies in Japan were "paternal" in providing housing and other amenities for the workers that they employed - i've got an idea that this is no longer the case.

Hmmm. Could be a Plan B. Arranging for people to swap jobs with others who live and work in the opposite locations, for a small fee of course. May even get a government grant by promoting the green aspects through reduction of commuting.

On second thoughts, no it's a daft idea, would never work, please delete from your memory.
                  Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Not for my skill set it's not!

I'd suggest that for some clients, they insist on a face to face interview for whatever reason. Most people here seem to think this is the norm.

In my experience, it's not. The clients that I deal with get a good enough feel from a phone interview, CV and reputation that they don't need to waste their time and mine with a face to face interview. They are usually so grateful that I'm available and interested in the role that they want to sort the role out quickly before I find something else to do.
                    Face to face is also rare in my game, it is a few years since my last one and I'd only agree if it was local or the market was very tough. Most managers experienced at recruiting contractors can suss you out over the phone in 10 minutes. If you are tulip they can get rid asap so why bother wasting time on face to face interviews.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                      Face to face is also rare in my game, it is a few years since my last one and I'd only agree if it was local or the market was very tough. Most managers experienced at recruiting contractors can suss you out over the phone in 10 minutes. If you are tulip they can get rid asap so why bother wasting time on face to face interviews.
                      Do you put a mugshot on your CV then? If there's no face to face how do they protect themselves from being scammed, where the person doing the telephone interview isn't the same as the one that turns up to do the job!?

I suppose they could get shut after the blagger's been found out, but I've seen some right numpty contractors blag it for months, and usually only get binned at the first renewal.
                      Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
                      X