• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working at home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chicane
    Good luck.

I spent a couple of years operating as a 'real' business, sourcing my own clients (ie not via agencies) and working from home. That's the problem with agency contracting - that 90% of the contracts out there just seem to want bums on seats and working from home is out of the question.

I'm not sure of the specific field in which you operate, but I've found since starting onsite contracting that it's generally better money for less effort.
    I agree with all of you. But my doc has stated in no uncertain terms that I'm to avoid anything that will stress me out. So no way will I argue for hours on this...I mean she consistently overspends the budget - putting us into overdraught on a regular basis. Its quite fun actually as I don't use the account at all - I'm very frugal - to see her squirm when the letters from the bank arrive. That answers the "is she financially viable" question , no. I'm sure I'll be giving company loans right from the start. either that or she'll be using the tax credit money to make it look viable. (she keeps the tax credit money for herself BTW - a right bitch)

I work on databases, which will be extremely difficult to obtain work from home for. I may just have to supply data modelling expertise. I too have looked around and its quite impossible to beat the guys from russia/india/china on any contracts. I have obtained small (tiny) jobs on my own but most were done in two days and I got paid minimal for them.

I think I'll just have to ride it out, perhaps even making a loss on the company. show her that I can no longer support the family (ie: her spendthrift ways) and return to proper consulting. I've plenty in the company account so a one-year loss of a few grand won't hurt much. As much as it hurts me to say that.

Sigh, on the other hand. the business plan she has is forecasting her to make six figures in the first year alone, and that's with a minimal number of clients. If it works out, I'll just retire and help her out full time. yay!
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000
      Sigh, on the other hand. the business plan she has is forecasting her to make six figures in the first year alone, and that's with a minimal number of clients. If it works out, I'll just retire and help her out full time. yay!

Comment

Working...
      X