• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH/Lockdown/Future of office work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    People have been saying a 100% remote gig is the dream for years, I wonder how many now still think that?

I know I don't
    For the last 6 years I've been 50/50 office/home based with various clients.

So I'm quite enjoying it at the moment.
    That said... It would be nice to get the wife and kids out and have the house to myself again....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Absolutely this. Any decent company should be starting reviewing how it's working and gathering evidence now.

My client has already sent out a survey monkey on how it's going with a mix of mental health and well being questions with others around ability to work with good bad and stopper type answers. I'd imagine they are focused on the people right now but the ability to work and impact will get a lot of attention soon.

Nope. We've had the survey as mentioned above but not a peep on returning yet. That said my client is on the super careful side. We already had a day where everyone possible worked from home a week before the lockdown hit to be prepared and we shut up shop the very day Boris mentioned it so have been at home a week longer than most.

I don't imagine they'll be asking us to do anything so no need for me to consider whether I'd need to do it to be fair.
      If you wanted my thoughts though, I won't be going back to the office anytime soon, allowed to or not. I work for myself so cannot afford to be sick so unless suggested otherwise (sensibly) by my client I won't be in the office until there are 0 new cases.
      Welcome back to the contract world.

Comment

Post lockdown, there's talk of a 2-week WFH, 2 week in office rotation at my place. I guess that means you could effectively reduce the size of your building by 50%. Meetings that require faec-to-face could be scheduled for the 2 week -in-office period.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          People have been saying a 100% remote gig is the dream for years, I wonder how many now still think that?

I know I don't
          I've never really wanted 100% wfh as I prefer being in an office environment, mainly because I like the separation between work and home. Since this started my anxiety has been off the scale for no real reason, to the point where some days I can't breathe. I can't wait to get back to the office tbh.
          If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            My last 2 clients had already started an office consolidation exercise where they modelled their space requirement on having desk spaces for 80% of FTE-days, accepting that a number of people already worked from home. They were also pushing out a hot-desking policy at more parts of more locations.

I too think that thus outbreak will only accelerate that thinking.
            Loads have done. Some interesting points that were raised in the call when we discussed potential new offices in the event we deem these unsuitable and they cannot be adapted at a friendly price-point.

It'll be interesting to see how they practice social distancing in the lifts in the Canary Wharf tower blocks.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
              Post lockdown, there's talk of a 2-week WFH, 2 week in office rotation at my place. I guess that means you could effectively reduce the size of your building by 50%. Meetings that require faec-to-face could be scheduled for the 2 week -in-office period.
              That sounds disgusting!

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                I've never really wanted 100% wfh as I prefer being in an office environment, mainly because I like the separation between work and home. Since this started my anxiety has been off the scale for no real reason, to the point where some days I can't breathe. I can't wait to get back to the office tbh.

This explains your alt-right misinformation junk that you keep posting here; dystopian illuminati new world order style theories.

Learn to embrace your new world: easier working, easier separation from duties, enjoy it. Some people work for half an hour and then do something else for half an hour, outside or inside.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                  This explains your alt-right misinformation junk that you keep posting here; dystopian illuminati new world order style theories.
                  That's an unnecessary comment.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Loads have done. Some interesting points that were raised in the call when we discussed potential new offices in the event we deem these unsuitable and they cannot be adapted at a friendly price-point.

It'll be interesting to see how they practice social distancing in the lifts in the Canary Wharf tower blocks.
                    Knowing how at peak times it can take 10 mins to get a lift with room in it, that's going to be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      Knowing how at peak times it can take 10 mins to get a lift with room in it, that's going to be fun.

Comment

Working...
                      X