• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How difficult is it to shake off the public sector image

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    This is the problem for me. Once a BA starts thinking he's also equally skilled a PM I just shut down. What exactly does your CV sell you as. Some people say you are only as good as your last gig. If you show a single, or maybe two PM roles and then it switches back to BA your CV will most likely go in the bin. You'll be up against BA's with constant BA experience and PM's with nothing but solid PM gigs. Start flirting between the two and some dumb ass agent isn't going to know what to do.
    Completely agree - Business Analyst and Project Management skills are two very different profiles and I throw any BA CV in the bin if they mention they are a Project Manager as well.

Great BA's are very hard to come by and I'm always amazed at how a really good BA can help bring stability to a large and complex project.

Remember you are supposed to be a contractor - selling your skills at a premium to a highly competitive market. To be successful as a contractor you need to strive to be the best at what you do.

I'm a Project Manager but I can also write some code but I'm tulip at writing code so why would I put it on my CV?

Comment

Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post

I'm a Project Manager but I can also write some code but I'm tulip at writing code so why would I put it on my CV?
      Because sometimes you only need to have an affinity with something, you don't have to be an expert but it sure helps if you understand what the software engineers are talking about. A lot of BAs and PMs don't. They are 'not technical' (I hate that phrase).

I find the idea of only putting core competencies on a CV a bit old school.

Comment

NHS Digital in Leeds might be a good shout.

Comment

Have to be honest here... I've done lot's of CV checking and interviews and the PS people never make it to Interview stage....

Comment

YBS @ Leeds

Originally posted by ISL View Post
            For a while and especially since I have become the stuffed turkey, I have been looking at other contracts that utilise the same skills as those used in my current surroundings. i.e. Business Analyst with masses of change expertise and recently project management as I held three post before the rest of the team came on board. My CV is relatively good (I Think) yet no one seems interest in a BA with 10 years (Multiple) NHS experience with several versions of EPR, eDocumenting Systems (Records) and the usual skills around the work of the BA.
            I happen to know that they are looking (as someone who was working on the same programme as me has just left them - PM me and I'll give you the name of their senior BA who hires).
            "Hope your doing fine". My favourite opening line in emails from certain agencies! Not only the fact they can't spell, but who actually says that?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
              Have to be honest here... I've done lot's of CV checking and interviews and the PS people never make it to Interview stage....
              Let's be honest here, that is nothing short of professional discrimination.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
                Let's be honest here, that is nothing short of professional discrimination.
                Not really... That's like saying it's discrimination to look for Financial services experience or Retail experience. Wanting somebody from the private sector is in no way discrimination, it's just a kind of experience you are seeking.

Comment

Working...
                X