• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perm->Contract - How to handle notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    I've never seen a contract with that level of detail.
    A project name is what I insist on, then I invoice items against that project (whether that be design, build, deploy, test, document or handover)
    Until I've told them how to do the project how could they possibly know every item to be delivered?
    My second to last last one did.
    It saved me from looking at other problem areas, as I could categorically say, I can give advice, but I'm but I'm not being engaged to look at that part.

The one I just finished the brief was clear, consultancy and advisory to solve all reporting issues and enable delivery.
    In fact I probably only performed a few simple changes myself, but advised on how to do many others, how to get the most bang for your buck etc.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
      Thanks for the advice all. The company are messing me around in terms of interview time, so I've decided to withdraw my application as I see this as a bad sign, and having read the comments maybe I am not as interested in the role as I thought!

Will keep my head down into next year and look to get some extra window-dressing on my CV, then look to contract as a BA end of next year, but aim for a higher day rate - £450-500.

My rationale for this:
      - Ability to benefit from wife's tax allowance (low hours due to childcare);
      - Will keep child benefit rather than paying some/all of it back;
      - 47 weeks working at £450 a day is £105,750. Less £12,000 pension contribution, £93,750, less costs £12000 = £81,750 * 0.7 (approx. take-home) = £4,768.75 plays £3,265. OK there are periods between contracts, but this is a relatively conservative calculation.
      You are presuming too many weeks of work - you have ignored times when the client doesn't want you to work e.g. around Christmas - this can be 3 weeks, when the wife is really sick and you have to look after the kids, when you have to take time off to go for a medical appointment, see one of the kid's plays (yes you have to) etc. As well as time between contracts - you need this so you don't burn out.

In addition as a BA starting out the agency won't let you earn £450 - £500 a day as you are a risk against someone who has been contracting for years. The rate is more likely to be £100 less than that.

Added to that you don't want to clear your bank account out. You need to keep a warchest for when you don't get a contract.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
      X