• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suggestions on how to tackle notice period...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by indianabones View Post
    Just to add, I'm not in a contract but I am contemplating one and this is one of the questions I had. Possibly handing in notice soon after starting.
    How you run things is up to you, but if you hand your notice in immediately / soon after starting, don't be surprised if the client says "don't bother coming in again" and you have no work while you wait for your perm job to come through - and it would be a real shame to see you come back here in a while asking what to do because the perm job fell through.

If you breach the contract, then that's a very different matter - you leave yourself open to all sorts of potential problems, and if you are going to go perm then I would want the cleanest possible break - you wouldn't want to have any pesky reference issues come up and lose the job, after all!
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      How you run things is up to you, but if you hand your notice in immediately / soon after starting, don't be surprised if the client says "don't bother coming in again" and you have no work while you wait for your perm job to come through - and it would be a real shame to see you come back here in a while asking what to do because the perm job fell through.

If you breach the contract, then that's a very different matter - you leave yourself open to all sorts of potential problems, and if you are going to go perm then I would want the cleanest possible break - you wouldn't want to have any pesky reference issues come up and lose the job, after all!
      Firstly, I'm not stupid enough to leave without a formal contract of employment in hand. So if I do land a contract role and then part way through decide to leave early, I would only do it if I have a contract signed up. I've never heard of a perm position falling through once an written offer is issues.

You're right to mention breaching the contract, that's why I will be reading any contract inside out, upside down and any which way I can. If the contract has some clauses which could potentially hurt me later on, why would I sign up?

Finally I have been speaking to the contractors I know, fortunately working in one of the largest IT service providers in the world I got to meet and become friends with a few. They've actually told me that contractors leaving part way through or even 1 day into a contract is quite common. So if I were to adhere to a 1 week notice period, I think I'd be doing a lot better than others.

As for not working for the same client ever again, I think it'd be a given if you left on bad terms with any employer (contract or perm) you'd probably never be considered for work there again.

Comment

Originally posted by indianabones View Post
        Firstly, I'm not stupid enough to leave without a formal contract of employment in hand. So if I do land a contract role and then part way through decide to leave early, I would only do it if I have a contract signed up. I've never heard of a perm position falling through once an written offer is issues.

You're right to mention breaching the contract, that's why I will be reading any contract inside out, upside down and any which way I can. If the contract has some clauses which could potentially hurt me later on, why would I sign up?

Finally I have been speaking to the contractors I know, fortunately working in one of the largest IT service providers in the world I got to meet and become friends with a few. They've actually told me that contractors leaving part way through or even 1 day into a contract is quite common. So if I were to adhere to a 1 week notice period, I think I'd be doing a lot better than others.

As for not working for the same client ever again, I think it'd be a given if you left on bad terms with any employer (contract or perm) you'd probably never be considered for work there again.
        It is rare for a permie position offer to fall through but can happen (company mergers / takeovers etc.). But unlikely enough to accept the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          It is rare for a permie position offer to fall through but can happen (company mergers / takeovers etc.). But unlikely enough to accept the risk.
          Happened twice with me with the same company
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Happened twice with me with the same company
            They must keep talking to your previous clients.

Comment

First time, Oracle Manchester made a load of people redundant at the same time so it became more of a buyer's market. As they found out a few weeks later, there was a reason that their new employee had just been made redundant.

Second time, everything was put on hold as their market cap dropped by about £750 million in the space of a month.

Oh well.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Proving your lack of statistical knowledge again.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Proving your lack of statistical knowledge again.
                  I forgive you, even though your transgression is in a professional forum.

Comment

Working...
                  X