• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Disputed invoice - any advise appreciated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Based on your side of the story I’d say you’ve been perfectly reasonable and professional and given the client options.

If they’d rather you had not worked the notice period then they should have exercised that option. Presumably they didn’t as they didn’t want to be left in the lurch so they can’t have their cake and eat t. You should be paid for the work you have done.

It doesn’t sound like they dispute that the work was done but if they claim it’s not up to standard then they are going to need to give you evidence of that and give you the opportunity to rectify it.

As it sounds like the relationship has broken down anyway I would be sending a final email reminder that the payment is overdue and if it remains unpaid then you will start adding interest and if it still remains unpaid then you will have no choice but to pursue it further, at which point get in touch with somebody like Safe Collections (it might even be worth contacting them now).
    They didn't want me to do the notice period and refusing to pay for work done and sent to them before the resignation was handed in. Their issue isn't the standard of the work, but me handing my notice whilst the project was still on going. But i feel since i was happy to finish off any unfinished work during a notice period and they refused to exercise that then i am not sure what else i could have done.

Thanks for your advice. Yes will look at Safe Collections

Comment

Also, have a look at The Late Payment of Commercial Debts Regulations 2013 - Pay on Time for calculating the interest and charges that you can apply.

Sounds to me like you should chase and add those charges until they pay you what they owe you - if they aren't happy then they would need a counter-claim. They cannot just withhold payment because they feel like it, unless there is something in the contract that allows them to do that.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Also, have a look at The Late Payment of Commercial Debts Regulations 2013 - Pay on Time for calculating the interest and charges that you can apply.

Sounds to me like you should chase and add those charges until they pay you what they owe you - if they aren't happy then they would need a counter-claim. They cannot just withhold payment because they feel like it, unless there is something in the contract that allows them to do that.
        And:

http://www.gov.uk/statutory-demands

Comment

Are you sure you are telling the whole story? Have they given any other reason apart from "we're not happy you are leaving?"

Need to make sure, usually it takes 4 pages or so for the important bits to come out.

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
            Are you sure you are telling the whole story? Have they given any other reason apart from "we're not happy you are leaving?"

Need to make sure, usually it takes 4 pages or so for the important bits to come out.
            That's the whole story. Unhappy i handed in my notice when the project is still on going and so they don't feel they should pay me for the month's work as they don't think they can use it which is where i disagree but also feel if i had been allowed to do the notice period i would have had the opportunity to finish off whatever is required or had a hand over period with another consultant.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Thank you for the links , will have a look now

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor UK 82 View Post
                Thank you for the links , will have a look now
                1. Chase politely using registered snail mail threatening further action including legal action. Also add interest.

2. After the time limit is up contact and hire Safe Collections to help convince them to pay up.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  We wouldn't recommend this course of action given the OP states:

Originally posted by Contractor UK 82 View Post
                  refused payment as they felt now all the consultancy work i did was useless in their opinion
                  Using a statutory demand on a disputed debt is definitely not recommended, as judges can often take a hard line with creditors that try to use them in disputed matters and if it is struck out the creditor may well find they are liable for the debtor's legal costs.

It should also be noted that serving a statutory demand on a limited entity is no longer required, you can achieve the same effect with a solicitors letter at a fraction of the cost.
                  The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Working...
                  X