• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Setting up a small consultancy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds like you're approaching everything really sensibly; which is good. Having the contacts who are happy to work on a day rate is fantastic.

Long sales cycles are a double edged sword - usually very very lucrative opportunities but one job we worked on in pre-sales the client procrastinated over for a year! However, at the end of it we finished the job and there was £30k profit in it (this was one major determining factor for me leaving permie land - got sick of making a lot of money for the company owners)

One thing on the BDM stuff particularly social media; you absolutely have to have a presence, but make sure you focus your time and your energy on face to face networking, using your social media efforts to back up your meetings. For example, I've a couple of LinkedIn articles I regularly point small business owners to which they've found useful, which has given me credability. Not lead to any jobs yet, but the reputational return I got by spending just an hour or two writing an article to me seems worth it. Posting an infographic to "Insta" however, would be a total waste of time. It's all about knowing your market... I've read three books on the topic because it's interesting and I still feel a little lost.

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know!

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
      It sounds like you're approaching everything really sensibly; which is good. Having the contacts who are happy to work on a day rate is fantastic.

Long sales cycles are a double edged sword - usually very very lucrative opportunities but one job we worked on in pre-sales the client procrastinated over for a year! However, at the end of it we finished the job and there was £30k profit in it (this was one major determining factor for me leaving permie land - got sick of making a lot of money for the company owners)

One thing on the BDM stuff particularly social media; you absolutely have to have a presence, but make sure you focus your time and your energy on face to face networking, using your social media efforts to back up your meetings. For example, I've a couple of LinkedIn articles I regularly point small business owners to which they've found useful, which has given me credability. Not lead to any jobs yet, but the reputational return I got by spending just an hour or two writing an article to me seems worth it. Posting an infographic to "Insta" however, would be a total waste of time. It's all about knowing your market... I've read three books on the topic because it's interesting and I still feel a little lost.

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know!
      Thanks again, Matt. Social media / blogging is something that Ive only considered briefly and should think about more.

Keep 'em coming!

Comment

Working...
      X