• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top Skillsets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
    Nothing about this post vaguely resembles my last five (DevOps) roles...
    Every ones experience is different.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Nothing about this post vaguely resembles my last five (DevOps) roles...
      Could you please elaborate on what your job entailed
      Last edited by Andy2; 23 June 2017, 19:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
        Could you please elaborate on what your job entailed
        Normal length working days. A lot of freedom to examine problems and come up with the correct solutions, without too much red tape involved. Lots of discovery around currently manual processes and business pain points, coupled with a heap of pro-active automation of anything that was considered onerous, unreliable or time consuming, freeing up time for incumbents to lay off the "BAU" a bit and learn the same skills, and ultimately automating and mentoring myself out of a job (quite intentionally!).

DevOps isn't "fire fighting" and rebooting servers, it's working damn hard to prevent these issues from occurring in the first place, making code deployments a non-event, and embracing QA to get things right the first time, in a secure fashion.

Comment

A lot of companies going through "digital transformation" atm, automating testing and deployments. I was championing DevOps practices (although not using the term internally, no weight with management - they just want to see project delivery go smoother and cheaper) for my last 2 years in my permie role.

Does require the company to be aligned top to bottom, went to DevOps Enterprise Summit in June, "Transformational Leadership" was this years recurring theme, and expanding DevSecOps to BizDevSecOps. Wonder what it'll grow to next year ...

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
            Just checking on jobserve for most sought after skills with good rates are :

Java developers 272 contracts
            C# developers 125 contracts
            Javascript developer 100 contracts

Does it make sense to retrain in these skills. Any members with these skills please share your experience.
            I have none of those skills, does that mean I am doomed

Oh hang on I am not a code monkey so that is not really an issue, my theory has always been don't go for what is in demand now, try and work out what will be the next big demand and get there early. How that works with programming languages I don't know, it's why I have never had an interest in being a developer, too much to gamble (albeit with big pay offs if done right)
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Normal length working days. A lot of freedom to examine problems and come up with the correct solutions, without too much red tape involved. Lots of discovery around currently manual processes and business pain points, coupled with a heap of pro-active automation of anything that was considered onerous, unreliable or time consuming, freeing up time for incumbents to lay off the "BAU" a bit and learn the same skills, and ultimately automating and mentoring myself out of a job (quite intentionally!).

DevOps isn't "fire fighting" and rebooting servers, it's working damn hard to prevent these issues from occurring in the first place, making code deployments a non-event, and embracing QA to get things right the first time, in a secure fashion.
              This^

WRRTOP - I'm currently in my first DevOps contract, having come from a platform (VMware/Windows/Linux support/integration) contracting background. The initial learning curve was fairly steep, at least for me as a basic coder - (PowerShell/JavaScript/vRealize Automation Suite/Jenkins/Ansible/Jira etc) - but once you've picked up one scripting language, one tool of each type (e.g. config management with puppet/ansible) - you can pick up others fairly easily.

HTH

Comment

Surely the problem with DevOps is going to be, like Agile, vast numbers of companies wanting to adopt it ( current trend... ) and making a balls up of it due to lack of real tangible knowledge?

Comment

Anybody think that it is worth getting very clued up on GDPR ready for this to come into play? Many big institutions both private and public will be very worried about this and it may become a top priority for them through contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by hypersouth View Post
                    Anybody think that it is worth getting very clued up on GDPR ready for this to come into play? Many big institutions both private and public will be very worried about this and it may become a top priority for them through contractors.
                    Worth it in Britain? Well, maybe but it's only going to be for a fairly limited time due to Brexit, surely? I'd imagine most big British companies won't overly worry tbh - be subject to it for what, a year?

I'd suspect on a wider note there will be plenty of work in the next year or so due to Brexit...

Comment

Originally posted by Dante View Post
                      This^

WRRTOP - I'm currently in my first DevOps contract, having come from a platform (VMware/Windows/Linux support/integration) contracting background. The initial learning curve was fairly steep, at least for me as a basic coder - (PowerShell/JavaScript/vRealize Automation Suite/Jenkins/Ansible/Jira etc) - but once you've picked up one scripting language, one tool of each type (e.g. config management with puppet/ansible) - you can pick up others fairly easily.

HTH
                      Now all you need to do is realise it's not all about tools

Comment

Working...
                      X