• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perm position- negotiate down the notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanielRed View Post
    I'm literally going through this right now, 3 month notice period but need to leave earlier to accept my 1st contracting offer. In the end my current employer has agreed to let me leave a month early, which means I can accept the contract with the client.

The two keys for me were:

a)Being completely transparent with my current employer, and explain the situation. My role is hard to recruit for and they were not keen at all on my early departure, but I lobbied hard as this was/is a dream first contract with a fantastic client

b)I put a plan in place internally with the relevant teams to accelerate my handover and presented that back to them. Once they had the confidence of the teams that my early departure would have minimal impact, they were happy with the plan

HTH
    What's the penalty clause for leaving tomorrow ?

£1 to 1p the client will just find someone else / budget reallocated / internal replacement / outsourced or something else

Go go go

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
      What's the penalty clause for leaving tomorrow ?

£1 to 1p the client will just find someone else / budget reallocated / internal replacement / outsourced or something else

Go go go
      Depends on the skill set required and the wages they are offering.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Depends on the skill set required and the wages they are offering.
        The thought had crossed my mind at being gazumped. The requirements are relatively tight, and I put myself in pole position after my interview. Who knows, I'll just have to suck it up and hope. It all means nothing until I send my first invoice anyway.

As a longtime perm, the instability of the world
        I'm moving to is going to be the biggest mental hurdle for me.

Comment

I changed from Perm to Contract in October. I had 3 months notice period after working there for 10 years.
          I had a realistic conversation with my boss when I handed in my notice and managed to get my notice down to 6 weeks. Obviously there were deliverables assigned to that and handover which I completed.

There is always a chance if you have a good working relationship with your old boss and company...

Comment

Originally posted by llcoolam View Post
            I changed from Perm to Contract in October. I had 3 months notice period after working there for 10 years.
            I had a realistic conversation with my boss when I handed in my notice and managed to get my notice down to 6 weeks. Obviously there were deliverables assigned to that and handover which I completed.

There is always a chance if you have a good working relationship with your old boss and company...
            Ok, but 6 weeks is still a very long time. Wonder how you managed to convince them to wait.

Comment

Working...
            X