• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ardesco
    Two options:

Tell then to feck orf.
    Go an be the annoying git who asks stupid questions, takes the piss and doesn't take it seriously and at the end announce you just got paid £xx for sitting through that rubbish.

They won't make you go to one again

How very flexible of you! I understand that attendance might affect you IR35 status but if you're inside IR35 you should definately attend. The client's paying and its not worth disrupting a presumably good relationship. Its only a day - you might learn something. Over the years I've attended all sorts of 'training' courses mandated by my client including a Stress Management course which involved meditation (easy day I thought).

Comment

Originally posted by contractsurfer
      Over the years I've attended all sorts of 'training' courses mandated by my client including a Stress Management course which involved meditation (easy day I thought).
      Why on earth would your client want to send you on a stress management course? Are you borderline psychotic or something?
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

If they want you to go raise a seperate invoice for the time as obviously going will impact the delivery of your stated deliverables therefore you need to raise a change notice and get the extra time agreed.

I think they will soon get the message. However if you are paid to turn up for a day and don't have specified deliverables in the contract, have a team leader and are given work piecemeal on a "who finishes the last bit first" approach then you may as well go cos it ain't going to make one iota of difference to your IR35 status as you are already shafted there.

Comment

Originally posted by contractsurfer
          How very flexible of you! I understand that attendance might affect you IR35 status but if you're inside IR35 you should definately attend. The client's paying and its not worth disrupting a presumably good relationship. Its only a day - you might learn something. Over the years I've attended all sorts of 'training' courses mandated by my client including a Stress Management course which involved meditation (easy day I thought).
          The point is that as a contractor you don't care about noddy permie politics and you shouldn't be there. If they insist on you being there and you don't want to stick up for yourself you may as well have some fun.

If you have a good working record and get on with everybody it's not really going to change the working relationship, but it may get accross the message that contractors don't belong in these things

Comment

Originally posted by decode
            I have been told I have to attend some 'Staff Diversity Training' at the client site I'm working on. I did say that I would not be attending as I am not a permanent member of staff. The HR dept replied saying that they expected all contractors to attend this training! Should I just give in and go or should I refuse?
            I think the danger word here is 'Staff'. You are not a member of staff - now repeat after me (to fade) 'I am not a member of staff'.
            I've had some bizarre conversations about my non inclusion in the phone book at the current gig. Takes a while to sink in but don't give up.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by boredsenseless
              However if you are paid to turn up for a day and don't have specified deliverables in the contract, have a team leader and are given work piecemeal on a "who finishes the last bit first" approach then you may as well go cos it ain't going to make one iota of difference to your IR35 status as you are already shafted there.

I really really realy hope thats not true - I'm being auditted as we speak. At first they wanted my travel and subsistance receipts and stuff....then they started on the IR35 stuff - wanted a copy of my contract, explanations of pretty much everything...

Its been going on for about 4 months and I've heard nothing!

They're clearly going through everythig with a fine tooth comb and I'm sure I'm going to be totally screwed
              The pope is a tard.

Comment

Send out an announcement to the client HR department that all relevant HR personnel are to attend one of your own company diversity training courses as a condition for you remaining on site. Tell them it's a mandatory one day workshop to help them differentiate between contractors and permies and that it's not your own company's policy for the end client to discriminate against contractors of your company (you) by treating you the same as their own full time staff.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
                  I really really realy hope thats not true - I'm being auditted as we speak. At first they wanted my travel and subsistance receipts and stuff....then they started on the IR35 stuff - wanted a copy of my contract, explanations of pretty much everything...

They're clearly going through everythig with a fine tooth comb and I'm sure I'm going to be totally screwed
                  I hope you're a PCG member Sal. If you are, (virtually) nothing to worry about. If you're not, bend over and get the vaseline out...
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Ask them if the window cleaner is also doing the training. After all, contractors are expected to attend.

I did attend a "team building" meeting that I wasn't allowed to charge for, but it was go-karting so I didn't really mind.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne

Mine lasted 2 years....I won eventually & I did have insurance to cover the costs
                      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                      X