• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Local UK contract through an overseas agency - anything to worry about?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local UK contract through an overseas agency - anything to worry about?

I've recently been contacted via linkedin for a contract within my home city. The client and agency (which I haven't heard of previously) are overseas based but they would like a project to be run in the UK. All my contracts to date are with well established clients and agencies within my city and I'm worried there may be pitfalls working with an overseas agency. I'm only considering the position as work is struggling to come by in my sector (oil & gas) so I'm wondering if there is any pitfalls I should be looking out for. Last thing I want is to give up my existing contract and find out I have issues with an overseas agency (payment issues, etc).

Never seeing your money again?

Weekly terms would be the first thing I'd ask for.

Sounds dodgy - I can't imagine that a UK client would look overseas first. If you find out who the company is (if there is one), then contact them and check who is on the PSL. Just ring up explaining that two agencies have contacted you about the same role and you want to know who is on the PSL so you know who to go with.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Never seeing your money again?

Weekly terms would be the first thing I'd ask for.

Sounds dodgy - I can't imagine that a UK client would look overseas first. If you find out who the company is (if there is one), then contact them and check who is on the PSL. Just ring up explaining that two agencies have contacted you about the same role and you want to know who is on the PSL so you know who to go with.

Yeah none payment is my main worry and the fact I would lose my current contract and work is difficult to come by. However, to clarify the client is overseas as well. They have currently offered a phone interview with the client so I will see what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by kungfuman View Post
        Yeah none payment is my main worry and the fact I would lose my current contract and work is difficult to come by. However, to clarify the client is overseas as well. They have currently offered a phone interview with the client so I will see what they say.
        Ah, so it's an overseas client that's contracted to do work in your city?

Weekly payment terms and proceed with caution then.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

overseas agency: Indian I suppose?

Comment

Ah, so it's an overseas client that's contracted to do work in your city?

Weekly payment terms and proceed with caution then.
            As LondonManc said, weekly invoicing will help when the contract has started but ideally you need to conduct proper due diligence before acceptance to effectively manage the risk.

The fact the agency and client are overseas will make the due diligence trickier, but not impossible provided they aren't registered in known tax haven or jurisdiction that allows anonymous company ownership/hidden accounts filing.

If you need any help with sourcing overseas credit reports please feel free to ask and we will post a link or two
            The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              overseas agency: Indian I suppose?
              Hmmm. If so, the OP should keep their CV updated. There was someone on here last week who got a gig and was subbed out before they started!

If the OP interviews directly with client, I'd encourage them to get a contact name and number asap to mitigate that.

Comment

Originally posted by kungfuman View Post
                I've recently been contacted via linkedin for a contract within my home city. The client and agency (which I haven't heard of previously) are overseas based but they would like a project to be run in the UK. All my contracts to date are with well established clients and agencies within my city and I'm worried there may be pitfalls working with an overseas agency. I'm only considering the position as work is struggling to come by in my sector (oil & gas) so I'm wondering if there is any pitfalls I should be looking out for. Last thing I want is to give up my existing contract and find out I have issues with an overseas agency (payment issues, etc).
                Stick to your existing contract. Why bother with the risk?

You haven't actually been offered a contract have you? I wouldn't entertain it myself, it's probably just a fishing exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                  Stick to your existing contract. Why bother with the risk?

You haven't actually been offered a contract have you? I wouldn't entertain it myself, it's probably just a fishing exercise.
                  Usually blinded by ££££.

Often the sad reality is you can lose a lot more than you hoped to gain.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Hmmm. If so, the OP should keep their CV updated. There was someone on here last week who got a gig and was subbed out before they started!

If the OP interviews directly with client, I'd encourage them to get a contact name and number asap to mitigate that.
                    I know 2 people who started contracts through Tech Mahindra only to get canned after a few weeks. They both claimed they were replaced by a Bob.

When I get those 0203 calls purporting to be from London and hear an Indian accent, I don't even enter into a conversation anymore.

It's just like <click>.

Comment

Working...
                    X