• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got strung along... Client was looking for 2 contractors for a short-notice 2 month contract at a very good rate. Nailed both interviews, was told by the recruiter last Wednesday they were going to offer. Thursday and Friday the recruiter's saying "they're still trying to draw up the paperwork". Yesterday it's "they're in a management meeting finalizing requirements"(wtf?).

Just got a call to say the CEO wouldn't sign off on the budget and now they're going to look for someone at half the advertised rate.....

All of that time and energy out the window....
    Last edited by deeter; 29 October 2019, 09:42.

Comment

The market in London has completely nosedived over the past week. Just a couple of hundred jobs compared to what the market use to be like.

I wonder if recruitment agencies have started to let staff go as it must be unsustainable to keep them on.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
        The market in London has completely nosedived over the past week. Just a couple of hundred jobs compared to what the market use to be like.

I wonder if recruitment agencies have started to let staff go as it must be unsustainable to keep them on.
        They are just making them call around asking for leads.
        Why waste only their time when they can do ours too.
        Imagine the poor schmuck getting 30 cals a week but none leading to an interview, he must think there is something wrong with himself...

PS: not referring to yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Jolie View Post
          I would like to think that none of you rely completely on your main gig, and do some day trading or other business on the side, just in case.

If not, then now is the time to start.

Day trading, if done properly, can only last a maximum of 30 mins to 1 hour per day, when Wall Street opens. There's no excuse, you can do this in your lunch hour.

If you are unlucky enough to find yourself on the bench, the income from trading can see you through.
          And how does one start? Any recommendations?
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            Put everything on black[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Am I desperate enough for this?

Just got this on Linked In:

We are currently conducting a research study called Data Warehouse Study. We are looking for currently employed Full-Time Developers who recently migrated to a new data warehouse. This study is a one-time Remote Study via an online meeting. We’re offering $200 for participation in this study. Session lengths are 90 minutes.

Before you can even start to get paid, you have to do a survey, then it says:
              You may be asked to perform some tasks typical of your reported job title & technical work experience.

Anyone else had this? Am I desperate enough yet?

Comment

Originally posted by TheInvoicer View Post
                Put everything on black[emoji41]

I take it you don't have any pensions then?

Comment

Originally posted by Jolie View Post
                  I take it you don't have any pensions then?
                  I’m all in....

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    If you need to ask for recommendations, then perhaps this is not a good idea for you. If you are serious, then you might want to start by doing some research on the markets, the different trading options and how to trade safely using a trading plan. Keep away from people who ask for money.

Learning what you need to become a successful trader takes time, once you have done enough research and learning you will know what to do next.

Comment

I think I’m ok at trading now, I’ve been doing it for over an year now. The good news is it’s not rocket science but you only learn by using your own money (that you’re prepared to never see again). It’s all about understanding yourself and making decisions about how you see the market. Start small, and don’t take out any equity. What works for you at a pound a point will work at a tenner a point.

Comment

Working...
                      X