• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mogga71 View Post

....increasing taxes on companies rather than workers ? Considering you are on a Contractors Bulletin Board and most of those people here are on 'Outside' contracts surely you will understand that a lot of people will be disagreeing with this statement as charging Employer NI on a so called 'disguised employee' is a ridiculous enough .... but then increasing it is just taking the absolute pi$$.

I don't actually care who is in power as I know that all any government can do is akin to rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. The point of no return came many years ago. I will be amazed if Labour get a second term though .... I think they have come to power at precisely the wrong time and anything they do will do will go down like a lead balloon. The vast majority of this mess came via the Consevatives who let the Country down so badly and nobody is turning that around.
    I have an outside contract paying £500 a day. I am not going to sit hear moaning about paying a little more tax on the very good money I make and neither should you.

Personally I am running a business. Sounds like you might want review your status with your thinking.
    Last edited by dx4100; Yesterday, 19:08.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post

The bulk of their costs is staff which is not VAT claimable. Its not just VAT but also the removal of business rate releif.
      Yes, the staff they pay with big salaries which where educated and trained by the state and poached from the state sector at the expense of state educated children. Ill go find my violin :P

Comment

So I have been in the lucky position to have had back to back contracts while the market has been dead. Some how managed to dodge all the recent bullets. I was even offered a contract extension well into next year (probably too the end).

But I am going to chance my arm on a perm role - accepted a very decent offer. Been contracting now for just under 20 years and its time to move in to a proper day job and start looking at that career ladder with all the wonderful benefits that come with employment (lol). I can't be arsed fighting it out for more contracts. Maybe once the kids have moved out and the mortgage is paid and the pension pop is nice and fat

So thats me done with contracting (for now anyway :P )

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
          So I have been in the lucky position to have had back to back contracts while the market has been dead. Some how managed to dodge all the recent bullets. I was even offered a contract extension well into next year (probably too the end).

But I am going to chance my arm on a perm role - accepted a very decent offer. Been contracting now for just under 20 years and its time to move in to a proper day job and start looking at that career ladder with all the wonderful benefits that come with employment (lol). I can't be arsed fighting it out for more contracts. Maybe once the kids have moved out and the mortgage is paid and the pension pop is nice and fat

What sort of perm package were you able negotiate?

Comment

I have an outside contract paying £500 a day. I am not going to sit hear moaning about paying a little more tax on the very good money I make and neither should you.

Personally I am running a business. Sounds like you might want review your status with your thinking.
            What? Why don't you just do one instead?

Comment

Best of luck. I went perm in 2020 and my salary is the same as my contracting rate. I just pay a bit more tax.

Comment

Originally posted by mogga71 View Post

What? Why don't you just do one instead?
                say what ? Did I hurt your feelings ?
                Last edited by dx4100; Today, 21:32.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeSquash View Post

What sort of perm package were you able negotiate?
                  Top end salary for what I do, 15% pension, medical, car, decent holiday allowance plus more. Decent package.

Comment

Working...
                  X