• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents who ask you to adjust your CV before putting you forward

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I always ask for a job spec so I can tweak my CV to reflect, for example I have pretty much used every Source Code Repository in existence, if the spec ask's for TFS I make sure TFS is highlighted, if it asks for SVN I make sure that is, if they can't give me a job spec I tell them I can only submit a generic CV
    Also serves to weed out the speculative and generic cv begging letters
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      I always ask for a job spec so I can tweak my CV to reflect, for example I have pretty much used every Source Code Repository in existence, if the spec ask's for TFS I make sure TFS is highlighted, if it asks for SVN I make sure that is, if they can't give me a job spec I tell them I can only submit a generic CV
      What's wrong with keeping the one CV and just saying something like:

Extensive experience of all industry-standard SCMs (Git/Hg/TFS/Perforce/SVN/CVS etc.)

This way, you only have one CV to keep up-to-date, and any idiot who needs to resort to keyword matching on your CV (rather than having the wherewithal to appreciate that being skilled in (say) Git means you could pick up Hg/Mercurial fairly quickly etc.) is also satisfied.

Comment

FTFY
        Originally posted by billybiro View Post
        What's wrong with keeping the one CV and just saying something like:

Extensive experience of all industry-standard SCMs EVER
        You could also put tall the software manufacturers logos all over your CV, also
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
          There is actually one contractor I know in the central belt of Scotland claiming to have years of experience in SQL but can not write a simple query

Select BS from DB_LyingContractor
          Location = "Central Belt Scotland"
          Do you not need a "WHERE" in there?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Queries far too complex, lets get a team of consultants in
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If necessary I adjust to put the skills or a role in more detail. Important ... no lies.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                And single quotes instead of double quotes.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Always. I'm of the opinion that a short CV is best. Therefore, it wont all fit on in detail.

The skillsets I have can different. Client A might be not the least bit interested in skill A but are for skill B. So I need no detail for skill A but more for skill B.

However, I dont blag it and put stuff I dont know. All Im willing to do is to hghlight stuff.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Always. I'm of the opinion that a short CV is best. Therefore, it wont all fit on in detail.
                    The skillsets I have can different.
                    Maybe you should work on the English language skill set
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

My poor SQL...

What excuse do I go with for my poor SQL?

1) I haven't done SQL in a year or 2 and I am rusty
                      2) I made a joke and it was meant to appear ironic
                      3) It was a test and those who have corrected me have earned my respect
                      4) I just admit I am stupid and made a prick of myself

I am going for number 4!

Comment

Working...
                      X