• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Payment terms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Is this something that is generally possible then? I.e. should I throw my weight around or be more gentle?

Of course, I won't be holding you personally responsible if your advice turns out to be bad in this particular instance So feel free to give an honest opinion.
    I've asked an agency before who had monthly invoicing but then took 6 weeks to pay the invoice, what was the reason they had such extended payment terms. They agreed to pay me within 14 days (normally 10) after I invoiced them.

Other people asked the same agency but dealing with a different agent if they could be paid sooner. They were allowed weekly invoicing with 6 week payment terms.

The majority of the agencies I've dealt with pay up within 7-14 days of invoicing them.

The only companies who are difficult to negotiate with are direct clients.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I've not yet accepted an agency contract with greater than 14-day payment terms and weekly invoicing. Agencies may struggle to meet those terms - bank holidays, missed invoicing window, etc. - and I will let it slide in those cases but it does give you a head start in chasing the debt if they don't come good on the next payment cycle.

State your terms. Be weak about it and you achieve nothing. It's a little odd that someone with a 2yr 2k+ posting history is asking this.

As for self-billing. A formal self-billing agreement is needed (VAT rules). Some people are OK with it, personally I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
        State your terms. Be weak about it and you achieve nothing. It's a little odd that someone with a 2yr 2k+ posting history is asking this.
        Most of my posts are are arguing about economics, feminism, or hands-free dumps.
        Plus I've never have payment terms like this before.

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
        As for self-billing. A formal self-billing agreement is needed (VAT rules). Some people are OK with it, personally I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.
        Thanks for this. I'll look into it.

Comment

Im on 30 day - not an issue for me...

They pay on time so no big deal. Admitedly, if it was running late all the time on this 30 days I might have an issue.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I got some better terms.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
            X