• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do LinkedIn recommendations matter at all?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is not obvious whether LinkedIn could be counted as a source for any new leads but I can certainly see many people have recommendations on LinkedIn. And my former colleagues keep asking me to post such recommendations for them.
    I wonder whether those recommendations help at all and worth a hassle of chasing former managers to make them post one.
    If you reply to this post please state how many recommendations do you have on your LinkedIn profile?

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ltd View Post
      Yes
      Originally posted by Ltd View Post
      If you reply to this post please state how many recommendations do you have on your LinkedIn profile?
      No idea - I'd have to count them all and I have neither the time nor the inclination to do that
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I do use them, and have given them to others.

I think that I might need to be a bit more cheeky and ask for them as others have to me.

But no, I'm not telling you how many I have; what do you think this is, LinkedIn?
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Yes

No idea - I'd have to count them all and I have neither the time nor the inclination to do that
          I've done it for you. 2

HTH
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I see linkedin as a facebook for working people. Lots of salesmen searching for leads, lots of entry-level or straight-out-of-school junior assistants sending connection invites and endorsing each other, nobodies trying to make impression of somebodies, that sort of thing. "Motivational speakers" and "influencers", whatever that is, spouting their BS about the need to redefine the workplace, "become a millionaire in 10 easy steps", etc etc. It's a game some people want and like to play. Depending on your sector it might be more or less relevant. IMO just updating your work history is more than enough in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I've done it for you. 2

HTH
              That's you and Bob Shawaddiwaddi. I thought I had more than that
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                I do use them, and have given them to others.

I think that I might need to be a bit more cheeky and ask for them as others have to me.

But no, I'm not telling you how many I have; what do you think this is, LinkedIn?
                A high percentage of clients / agents will check out your LinkedIn profile when they get the CV. And more people are finding jobs that way (like you and me ) - so the more information there is there that shows that you are good at your job, the better.

And I've started to realise that the LinkedIn profile shouldn't be a mirror image of the CV.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  That's you and Bob Shawaddiwaddi. I thought I had more than that
                  Good to hear Bob is still about. Where's he working ?

Comment

I think LinkedIn recommendations lack real weight because they are just people recommending each other for the sake of it. You recommend me and I'll recommend you. It's not a genuine recommendation.

I would have thought a good, relevant, recent work history on the old CV is worth more. Combined with a few renewals so the client knows you were valued.

Comment

Working...
                    X