• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview / Soft skills - Training - Any recommendation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AMH View Post
    I just try to be honest.
    If I cant answer a question, I dont see the point lying about it... If I cant answer 3 or 4 Q's, then its not the role for me as it sounds like to much hard work.

Worst interview I ever had was my chair was placed right in line of the sunlight coming thorugh a crack in the blinds.
    I sat there pulling faces like I was having stroke.

Didnt get that role.
    They just wanted to see if you had the cojones to ask if you could move the chair. That is exactly the kind of tulip I am talking about.

Comment

I once had to do a thing called a pizza test at interview.

Then one interview yonks ago (permie days) I was grilled by a Microsoft Certified consultant at the same consultancy they had dragged off a project to give me a grilling.

He would ask a question like what kind of locking mechanisms does ADO have. I started to list them. I got the first 2 out and he said ok thanks. I said but what about the other 3? He wasn't interested but the PM was so asked me to list them.

The consultant got more and more nervous with every question while I outclassed him, and the PM was playing us off against one another for kicks. I actually felt pretty sorry for him.

Then I got the job, and apparently beat 50 other candidates for the role.

Then my new peers didn't want me there as I was "too good". I got bullied to feck and 7 weeks later had a complete breakdown.

I guess what I'm saying is that the interview should have told me to question deeper what their motivation for being such nitpickers at interview was. If I'd have done that I would have learned they inherited a bunch of incompetent hackers from a merger and we're trying to raise the bar by hiring someone half decent. Then I would have insisted on being made the team leader, and getting some clout rather than being tossed in the lions den at the same level.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
        They just wanted to see if you had the cojones to ask if you could move the chair. That is exactly the kind of tulip I am talking about.
        yea... I know that now, this was about 15-16 years ago.

Now I interview them at my interviews. If I got that far, then they must be desperate to want me, so need to see if I am as desperate to do some work for them.
        Last edited by AMH; 25 February 2015, 20:06.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Agreed. Interviews come in all shapes and sizes it seems from crap to ok.

In the past, I've had:-

- Panel from Indian consultancy asking stupid tech questions which weren't on my CV and trying to outdo each other. Didnt get that one.

- Phone interview where they just rattled off 40 tech questions and that was it. I had 3/4 of the skills so 10 of them I had little idea. Didnt get that one.

- Interviews where they ask a few questions about what you've done then try and work out if you're actually a decent contractor. These are the ones I tend to get.
          Same Here. I get those type of interviews.

Comment

Well it's time for another one tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
              Well it's time for another one tomorrow. Wish me luck.
              Break a leg

Comment

Working...
              X