• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency's due diligence checks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't seen all of the questions, but this one does seem a bit intrusive:

"Did you take accountancy advice before you commenced contracting via your contracting entity?
    If yes, please provide the name and contact details of your advisor below..."

If you feel a question is unnecessary, write back to the agency and ask why they need that particular piece of information. Their pre-amble explains they have a policy to ensure compliance, and "may" stop paying if you don't answer all the questions right, but that might just be bluster - designed to make sure they get a good response to the questionaire. They don't actually say they *won't* have your business.

Personally I would also remind the agency that I have never described my limited company as a PSC, and I would ask them to avoid the term in future. [this is your own bit of bluster!]

And see what they say.

Comment

Wouldn't it save the agency a great deal of expense and trouble to just get the client on board re SDC, e.g. via a CoA, as per the below?

IR35 could become irrelevant within months, with new rules taking effect from April

One would think if this is the case, that contractor bodies would be doing more with agencies and their bodies to get the point across.

Comment

As Andy said ALL agencies will be doing this from now on as HMRC require information from them - they will have to report on anyone that works through them for an end client who is not on their payroll. This template https://www.gov.uk/government/public...eport-template which HMRC put out in an RSS feed yesterday shows what information is required
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          As Andy said ALL agencies will be doing this from now on as HMRC require information from them - they will have to report on anyone that works through them for an end client who is not on their payroll. This template https://www.gov.uk/government/public...eport-template which HMRC put out in an RSS feed yesterday shows what information is required
          While the reporting template looks "reasonable", where would the agencies report information like Shares, accountant details etc to HMRC?

Or am I missing something fundamental?

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
            What are your thoughts on the contractor calculator article's argument I linked? It was discussed in a thread on here where TCP was able to get further clarification and it does sound interesting.

Link for reference:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ew-months.html
            Last edited by Zero Liability; 13 February 2015, 12:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
              What are your thoughts on the contractor calculator article's argument I linked? It was discussed in a thread on here where TCP was able to get further clarification and it does sound interesting.

Link for reference:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ew-months.html
              It's not an accurate report unfortunately - the new Agencies Legislation in the ITEPA will not apply to PSC's and this has been confirmed by HMRC https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ITEPA_2003.pdf - it's only the reporting that will be required so I don't think there will be any impact on IR35
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Just applied for a role with an agency whose name rhymes with ways, in return they sent me a link to complete their due diligence checks and contractor background info. Never seen such a bunch of bs in my life, its clearly aimed at temps but they've expanded it to contractors.

I know they have to go through more checks but one of the questions was 'do you have own transport?' Answer 'Yes' subsequent question 'What is your form of transport?'

I was tempted to put horseback but decided against completing the rest of the questions instead!
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                  I haven't seen all of the questions, but this one does seem a bit intrusive:

"Did you take accountancy advice before you commenced contracting via your contracting entity?
                  If yes, please provide the name and contact details of your advisor below..."

If you feel a question is unnecessary, write back to the agency and ask why they need that particular piece of information. Their pre-amble explains they have a policy to ensure compliance, and "may" stop paying if you don't answer all the questions right, but that might just be bluster - designed to make sure they get a good response to the questionaire. They don't actually say they *won't* have your business.

Personally I would also remind the agency that I have never described my limited company as a PSC, and I would ask them to avoid the term in future. [this is your own bit of bluster!]

And see what they say.
                  Considering what these reports are actually asking for, these questions seem like overkill. I thought a lot of agency contracts already make it crystal clear that your tax affairs are your and not their (or their client's) problem. So why the need for the overkill?

As for IR35, I imagine this flood of information may help HMRC target their campaigns a bit more precisely but given the cost and complexity of IR35 cases and their resource constraints, I can't see it changing very much else. I think the big game changer they're waiting on is the still mysterious FLC, i.e. the crystallisation of their invention, the PSC.

Comment

So in the article that Andy linked, this part of HMRC's "guidance" was quoted:

Where a PSC has only one individual providing services to an end client the PSC will not be a specified intermediary and will therefore have no filing responsibilities. A PSC however will appear on a different intermediary’s return where their services have been provided by that intermediary to an end client. If the PSC subcontracts to another PSC or where more than one worker of the PSC provides services to an end client they will be caught by the legislation as a specified employment intermediary and would need to file a return
                    For me, this raises another question: What, for example, is the situation with a two-person PSC (e.g. husband and wife) where each individual is providing services to a different end client?

Does this mean that the PSC is caught because there are two or more individuals providing services to clients in general, or the PSC is exempt because there are not two individuals providing services to the same client?

Clear as mud to me...

Comment

Working...
                    X