• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poor health, time off vs contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor health, time off vs contracts

A lot of contractor calculators assume a lot of days invoiced.
    Due to personal choice and more recently health issues, I have only been invoicing for ca 180-200 days pa.
    Does this make permanent offers more attractive?
    I had a look and that didn't seem to be the case, but I am looking again as my health is becoming more of a concern.
    On the other hand, I really enjoy the honesty of contracting - if I don't work, I don't get paid.
    On the other hand this doesn't help clients get stuff delivered in time etc...

I don't know your health situation, but if you feel the need for a break, and you have enough financial reserves, then a break can be a very beneficial thing, to recharge your battery and then burst in like superman again.

This is personal and different from person to person I guess.

For me, I personally force myself to deliberately take a longer break sometimes, 3 months for example (which means not even searching in this time, keeping your mind open for all other awesome things in life ).

I always come back from it with a superb motivation and energy that gets me a new assignment that I then fully go for with a 100% motivation.

Does working as a permie really offer that much more security?
    Companies fire permies too if the economy is bad... and the safety net around that won't last forever either.

You say you really enjoy the system of contracting.

Maybe look into different kinds of health insurance cover / income insurance as a contractor instead of going permie again?

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
      Due to personal choice and more recently health issues, I have only been invoicing for ca 180-200 days pa.
      I had a look and that didn't seem to be the case, but I am looking again as my health is becoming more of a concern.
      On the other hand, I really enjoy the honesty of contracting - if I don't work, I don't get paid.
      In terms of what - take home pay due to less days being invoiced or job security due to being off ill or something else ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ulukai View Post

Maybe look into different kinds of health insurance cover / income insurance as a contractor instead of going permie again?
        If you are already ill you can't get health insurance/income insurance to cover that illness. You need to take out policies when you are fit and healthy.

If you have had a condition 2-5 years before taking out the policy and get ill then depending on the policy they may decide not to pay out if they can link it to your previous health condition.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

FWIW, 200 days seems about right; that's about what I'd aim for. In other words, it doesn't make permie offers more attractive if you value the time off.

Comment

I'm sure you will find plenty of employers who are willing to employ you and let you have 20 days off sick every year.
            Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

So you have been contractor for at least an year or long enough to be able to extrapolate how much you will invoice in an year.
              I have only been invoicing for ca 180-200 days pa.
              Then why the hell are you using contractor calculators instead of your own data?
              If you can't do the above, then the answer to the below is YES
              Then again there is your choice of nickname...

Comment

Working...
              X