• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Career or Contracting..?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    I'd gotten myself into a situation where I was working away from home 100% of the time as my company had no projects in the area in which I lived. So contracting, as much as I was attracted to the money, was a means of having a say in where I worked.

Somewhat inevitably my first contract took me about a thousand miles from home

I have no career ambitions. Contracting, therefore is my excuse; my reason why I haven't chased promotions etc. But it's more than that. There is something primeval about contracting. In a working environment I never feel more alive than when I know my contract is coming to an end. I see others in a state of panic in the same situation and I never really understand why. Finishing a contract is about as orgasmic as IT gets.

What skills will be in demand in ten years? I remember thinking that SAP would be dead by 2000 yet it soldiers on, with me hanging to its coat tails. Clearly I haven't a clue what the future holds.
    1) Made redundant a few times so though might as well get paid more for no stability. And sick of office politics.
    2) Linux
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by turbowoowoo View Post
      Question What was your main driver for becoming a contractor ? Financial or Flexibility?
      Question What skills do you believe will be in demand in the next 5- 10 years?
      1. My health and personal circumstances. Not sure when this body will drop, so decided to die in a Private care home rather than in the drain(NHS ) Answer: Financial
      2. Anything you can learn and Bravo Sierra your way into getting the contract. Besides, learning new things keeps one sharp ! Answer: No Clue

Comment

Some good answers

I got into contracting by becoming disillusioned with the channel. Most of my career was as a consultant delivering to my employers customers. Many projects were highly technical and always away from home. When I saw the money I was been charged out at (in some cases, north of £2000 a day!) I decided I could actually be paid what I am worth.

It wasn't a hard decision for me to make, simply because I was a consultant living in hotels. If anything, going contracting has improved me technically, and I am at home alot more.

As for the future, contracts will be more from a consultative angle. Gathering requirements and managing outsourced/internal developers. Learning other languages will be a major plus point... I struggle with English at the best of times, and thats my main language!
        Kind Regards,

Paul

Comment

...there are a gluten of coders...
          You will find that gluten is a protein found in grains such as wheat.

Comment

... coding has now become a lot easier...
            That's what the clients think, and that's why we are now inhabiting the Market For Lemons.

Coding is no easier now than it ever was.

Comment

Question What was your main driver for becoming a contractor ? Financial or Flexibility?
              1. Flexibility - I can leave projects if I can't stand the people.
              2. No idea but firms will need people who can speak to the business in their mother tongue whether this a BRIC language or not.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Have been contracting since 2001

I decided to take contracting over a career and my main driver has been money and new challenges, luckily enough I am a project/programme manager and my skillset is enhanced the more contracts I have completed because a PM is all about his/her experience in my book.

But, if you are technical ( I used to be in the 90s netcool and openview) you HAVE to keep modernising and changing to keep your attractiveness and niche.

When I started contracting, coders were in short supply, as coding has now become a lot easier and mainstream as the tools have become more intelligent there are a gluten of coders, especially from Asia who have forced a lowering of day rates.

1 : I will be honest, money. Totally wrong I know but we had huge debts and I needed rid. After a year contracting we are totally debt free and building up a decent war-chest

I would like to stay in contracting for as long as I can. Not for the money, but I love the fact I am my own boss, trusted to deliver and can do it my own way. No office politics or worrying about redundancy. Love it. Long may it continue

2 : I really hope so, I am just finishing my OU degree and then I intend to top up my Vendor certs and try and stay as relevant as I can, until some 16 year old bob codes rings around me for 10% of my day rate.

Comment

1. Money
                  2. Hopefully still Excel VBA, but I know this isn't gonna be the case so am slowly sliding into C#.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                  X