• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK 'proposes customs centres on both sides of border'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Can you actually explain what is so bad about a frictionless boarder between NI and ROI?

And also can you explain why all of a sudden we are interested in the internal border issues of the EU?

The Uk will have a border with the EU - like when i go to France I need to go through some sort of border control - that will remain in fact the only thing that will change is going directly to ROI from the UK or NI I imagine.
    There is no border in Ireland like the UK/France one due to the Common Travel Area, naf all to do with the e.u. However goods will now have to go through customs at both Ireland AND France.

It's not like this has been explained a million times before, but Brexit is a special kind of stupid.
    Last edited by BlueSharp; 2 October 2019, 08:59.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      Go on then, spell it out, regale us with your in-depth analysis.
      Not much point is there, given the levels of stupidity on here.
      When a Brexiter asks "what is so bad about a frictionless boarder [sic] between NI and ROI", you know you've gone into the Alice in Wonderland alternate universe.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Not much point is there, given the levels of stupidity on here.
        So you haven't got one. Thought not. Just more bulltulip akin to the magical mythical Hayabusa, the Subaru-is-it-bollocks. The list goes on.
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

So you haven't got one. Thought not. Just more bulltulip akin to the magical mythical Hayabusa, the Subaru-is-it-bollocks. The list goes on.
          Perhaps you should help out your fellow Brexiter.
          So, Ziggy,"what is so bad about a frictionless boarder [sic] between NI and ROI"?

My fooking ribs are hurting.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Perhaps you should help out your fellow Brexiter.
            So, Ziggy,"what is so bad about a frictionless boarder [sic] between NI and ROI"?

My fooking ribs are hurting.
            I asked you for *your* analysis.

Put up or shut up.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I asked you for *your* analysis.

Put up or shut up.
              So you haven't got a point of view on the matter? Or are you embarrassed by the level of stupidity of your fellow-travellers?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Can you actually explain what is so bad about a frictionless boarder between NI and ROI?
                A frictionless border is what is required. Can you define “frictionless”?

And also can you explain why all of a sudden we are interested in the internal border issues of the EU?
                We’re not interested in the internal border issues of the EU. This is an external border.

The Uk will have a border with the EU - like when i go to France I need to go through some sort of border control - that will remain in fact the only thing that will change is going directly to ROI from the UK or NI I imagine.
                Yes, there will be a border, there are two sovereign nations involved and nations have borders. The question is whether the border infrastructure is sufficiently minimal that a border for all intents and purposes does not exist. Border infrastructure goes against the current U.K. legislation and also what the U.K. signed up to in December 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  A frictionless border is what is required. Can you define “frictionless”?

We’re not interested in the internal border issues of the EU. This is an external border.

Yes, there will be a border, there are two sovereign nations involved and nations have borders. The question is whether the border infrastructure is sufficiently minimal that a border for all intents and purposes does not exist. Border infrastructure goes against the current U.K. legislation and also what the U.K. signed up to in December 2017.
                  The fact that these very basic issues (which my 9-year old would grasp immediately) are not understood by OPM 3 years later makes the mind boggle.
                  Perhaps the vote should be granted only on passing a basic intelligence test.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

I'd love to hear whether our resident Brexiteers intend to manage all the border crossings or just some of them, or if they intend to close some.

Comment

Section 10 of the European Union Withdrawal Act 2018 prohibits any “border arrangements” between Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Oh dear.

Comment

Working...
                      X