• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So if Boris can't get a GE?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    So you are telling me that every single border between an eu and non eu country is completely secure and nothing could ever get in and out without anyone knowing.

I call bulltulip on that - and I will let you think about why.

(here is a tip - lorries full of immigrants)

So you are comparing flaws on a border with a non existent border!?!?

I think you should think on that....
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      I agree fully! Hence we should create a united Ireland. Surely the Irish government would love to take on Northern Ireland? Maybe anyone who feels that strongly about the UK can move there if they like it so much.....
      I guess that would create a civil war. That would be worse than a hard border There is a precedent.

Irish Civil War - Wikipedia

Much better that the ROI should leave the EU and rejoin the UK, or at least rejoin the Commonwealth.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        No there hasn’t
        Do you live in some sleepy suburb in Surrey then, or some other Utopia?

Come to South Wales and open your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
          How you can't understand that no border between Irelands is not possible to the EU (or UK for that matter)!?!?!?!?

Just think for a second (I know it can be hard for you). UK is out of Europe and free to negotiate any free tariffs with 3rd countries (US, China, etc.). Without a border what is stopping someone sitting in Northern Ireland buying goods from this countries with zero tariff, then drive to Ireland (being now inside the EU economic zone) and resell these goods (bought free tariff) to the rest of the EU, don't you see a clear advantage over every other EU member!?!!?!? How can someone not understand this....?

On the other hand how would UK control the entry of EU migrants?!? They would still be free to move at will to Ireland, then all they have to do is drive to Northern Ireland!!!! Or worse migrants from third countries getting a tourist visa to Ireland and then just move and stay in the UK illegally...
          How you can't understand that no border between Irelands is not possible to the EU (or UK for that matter)
          not sure that I understand this first point because of the double negatives, but if I'm correct, what you are saying is there has to be a border between the two, which I would agree. But everyone is saying that they want to avoid this. I really can't see that this is possible. We do not hear anything about any fundamental difficulties experienced with trade crossing the EU borders into Switzerland.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
            I guess that would create a civil war. That would be worse than a hard border There is a precedent.

Much better that the ROI should leave the EU and rejoin the UK, or at least rejoin the Commonwealth.
            Ireland is much bigger in area and population than Northern Ireland! Why do you think it makes more sense for Ireland to leave the EU and loose its independence to join the UK!?
            Last edited by CryingSheep; 5 September 2019, 09:52.

Comment

You have forgotten the precedent of the Irish War of Independence.

Anyway, if there was ever 1 to 2% of the population that wanted to join the UK, that will be evaporating fast, given the UK's failing state condition.

Comment

not sure that I understand this first point because of the double negatives, but if I'm correct, what you are saying is there has to be a border between the two, which I would agree. But everyone is saying that they want to avoid this. I really can't see that this is possible. We do not hear anything about any fundamental difficulties experienced with trade crossing the EU borders into Switzerland.
                I meant it should be obvious to everyone why EU NEEDS to enforce a border between Irelands and the reasons behind it!!!!

You really don't have a clue!!!! Switzerland is not in the EU but it is in the single market (free trade/movement of people and goods)! Leaving the EU but staying in the single market would solve the Irish border issue, the only problem is that UK is not willing to accept staying on the single market.

So basically you are saying, you want the Swiss border conditions/rights but without having the same duties! Typical British arrogance....

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
                  Ireland is much bigger in area and population than Northern Ireland! Why do you think it makes more sense for Ireland to leave the EU, loose its independence to join the UK!?
                  It would guess that if at some time in the future the citizens of the ROI felt that they had lost a great deal of what they enjoy now in the UK, and have always enjoyed, even prior to EU membership, then perhaps the mood might change. We've had this debate previously. It is obvious to me after speaking to some of those who live in the ROI, that individuals have benefited directly as a result of membership of the EU, whereas, that is less apparent in the UK. The explosion of new build properties financed by EU grants has benefited many individuals in the ROI. The same hasn't happened here in the UK

Comment

It would guess that if at some time in the future the citizens of the ROI felt that they had lost a great deal of what they enjoy now in the UK, and have always enjoyed, even prior to EU membership, then perhaps the mood might change. We've had this debate previously. It is obvious to me after speaking to some of those who live in the ROI, that individuals have benefited directly as a result of membership of the EU, whereas, that is less apparent in the UK. The explosion of new build properties financed by EU grants has benefited many individuals in the ROI. The same hasn't happened here in the UK
                    Why would you assume UK as more to offer to Ireland than the all EU!? The arrogance continues...

And the same has happened in the UK! If you can't see it is hardly EU's fault...

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                      But what about non-Irish and non-UK citizens crossing the border?
                      Let me count how many ****s I give about that one...
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X