• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Parliament to be prorogated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Seriously mate, we're leaving the EU why not stop making excuses?
    Are you? I hope so for my own benefit, but its not going to happen. Boris's plan is to exit on May's deal with some piffling concession from the EU on the backstop.
    His shutting down parliament is to force that plan through, not to exit with no deal.

HTH, BIDI since you're not the sharpest tool in the box.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      I think it becomes more binding when all the main parties have it as a manifesto pledge (2017) to implement the result.
      Well, you're wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        I think it becomes more binding when all the main parties have it as a manifesto pledge (2017) to implement the result.
        Manifesto pledges mean diddly squat, they're there to pander to the electorate with lies which will never be carried out
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Manifesto pledges mean diddly squat, they're there to pander to the electorate with lies which will never be carried out
          They certainly mean nothing for opposition parties, as they are manifestos to be adopted if in government, which become irrelevant if a party does not go into government. For government parties, they do have significance, but they are not legally binding.

But this is a level of complexity far beyond the comprehension of Brexit supporting CUKkers.

Comment

Legally it might have been advisory, but politically it wasn't. Hence the millions spent on campaigning for Remain, after Cameron promised the Govt would honour the result. If you want "advisory", just hold an opinion poll.
            You can call Cameron stupid and naive if you like (and I'm sure you will), but at no point in the campaign did anyone from the Remain side claim the referendum was advisory. Which is why they all crapped themselves when the results came in.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Plastic Paddy View Post
              They certainly mean nothing for opposition parties, as they are manifestos to be adopted if in government, which become irrelevant if a party does not go into government. For government parties, they do have significance, but they are not legally binding.

But this is a level of complexity far beyond my limited comprehension
              ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Cameron promised the Govt would honour the result.
                And so did Tory and Labour manifestos in 2017!

Usual policy of giving lip service to democracy while stuffing the electorate.

Comment

The old Etonian PM, elected by 100,000 party members, sends an old Etonian to a Scottish castle to ask the unelected Head of State to suspend parliament.

And they say the EU is out of touch and undemocratic.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    The old Etonian PM, elected by 100,000 party members, sends an old Etonian to a Scottish castle to ask the unelected Head of State to suspend parliament.

And they say the EU is out of touch and undemocratic.
                    You've been away too long. Go and have a lie down. (Preferably quite a long one...)
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      You've been away too long. Go and have a lie down. (Preferably quite a long one...)
                      No! Not long enough. I just wish he would leave CUK and join CDE.

Comment

Working...
                      X