• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BREXIT: Parliament can't stop "no deal" - Matt Hancock

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
    One more scenario
    Johnson refuses to quit after no confidence.
    Corbyn declares himself prime minister and the EU accepts that he is the new prime minister and they agree to extend the departure date until after an election.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Let's call that Cretin Scenario A. Letters B through Z are still available.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      Yes, it did (on the former). Oct 31 was an extension accepted under the Crown Prerogative, without a vote. I'm not sure how those things are connected to my point though.

My point is that, by convention, the PM could refuse to quit after a successful VONC *and* after a "government of national unity" (aka whiny remoaner partisan gov't of national disunity ) has shown confidence with an EDM or similar. The PM could simply say, "screw you, the election is on 1 Nov, after we've left". Until the gov't of disunity is actually in power, it's powerless, and Boris (and ultimately HM) remain in control of that process.

Of course, Remoaners could attempt to involve HM at that point by "writing letters", but that is unlikely to succeed

The only reliable thing these remoaners can do, IMO, is to legislate by, for example, obtaining control of the order paper via SO24 and then changing the FTPA. But that would need to get through the Lords too; they probably wouldn't have time, and the gov't can appoint Lords at will to block/frustrate. Also, it would nicely play into the subsequent election campaign.
      I see the failing state is coming along nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        I see the failing state is coming along nicely.
        I doubt we’ll bail you out a second time.

Comment

I doubt we’ll bail you out a second time.
          Hard times? Never mind. But I'm sure all EU 27 countries will participate in the programme to send food parcels to the UK.

Comment

Hard times? Never mind. But I'm sure all EU 27 countries will participate in the programme to send food parcels to the UK.
            You think the Irish gov't will survive "no deal"?

I'll go ahead and call that Cretin Scenario B.

Comment

Whether they survive "no deal" or not, they still owe the UK £3.2bn to be paid on or before March 2021. That's going to be interesting.

We've even been nice enough to make it easier for Ireland to repay the UK.
              Last edited by Zigenare; 9 August 2019, 05:57.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

What a weird non sequitur, but...

The Irish government is a minority government, which is only ticking along because Brexit is in the wings. An election will happen soon enough in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  Whether they survive "no deal" or not, they still owe the UK £3.2bn to be paid on or before March 2021. That's going to be interesting.

We've even been nice enough to make it easier for Ireland to repay the UK.
                  It's going straight to the EU to start paying off the UK's 39 billion divorce settlement.

Comment

It's going straight to the EU to start paying off the UK's 39 billion divorce settlement.
                    Ireland actually contribute to the EU. Gosh.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Ireland actually contribute to the EU. Gosh.
                      Your ignorance no longer surprises.

Comment

Working...
                      X