• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nissan chief executive 'confident' after meeting with Theresa May

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    You really ought to put that crystal ball of yours to better use.

Why? I'm only paraphrasing the Brexiter's economist Minford, the one that you think so highly of.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      Why? I'm only paraphrasing the Brexiter's economist Minford, the one that you think so highly of.
      Paraphrasing is not your strong suit.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        Paraphrasing is not your strong suit.

Neither is economics for either yourself or Minford.

Comment

Nissan reports Europe sales for March 2018

Hmm where is Nissan's largest European market?

Now we wonder why did the EU offer Japan a 0% tariff deal - could it be to try and increase the market for Nissan in main land Europe so they do not have to incur shipping costs for the majority of their vehicles which are bought in the UK?

They must be really hoping that we keep tariffs on importing cars from the Eu into the UK low I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Nissan reports Europe sales for March 2018

Hmm where is Nissan's largest European market?

Now we wonder why did the EU offer Japan a 0% tariff deal - could it be to try and increase the market for Nissan in main land Europe so they do not have to incur shipping costs for the majority of their vehicles which are bought in the UK?

They must be really hoping that we keep tariffs on importing cars from the Eu into the UK low I guess.

You'd need to break it down by model to make any meaningful comparisons. As you've pointed out in another thread, the Qashqai is made in Sunderland, and is also mostly sold in the UK, so no tariffs.

Interestingly though, the UK does import most of the vehicles sold here, so if/when tariffs are imposed the consumer may feel the increase at the point of sale. This may have an impact of increased sales of Qashqais, Minis, and Astras.

Where are the UK's best-selling cars actually built? | Autocar

Comment

Neither is economics for either yourself or Minford.
              Patrick Minford - Wikipedia

Minford:
              CBE
              Professor
              Published research

Meridian:
              Originally posted by Old Greg
              I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
              ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

the Qashqai is made in Sunderland, and is also mostly sold in the UK, so no tariffs.
                Are you sure. My figures look more like 190,000 in Europe (excl UK) and 50,000 in UK.
                "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                  This is probably how the UK is going to go over the next decade - no slam-dunk Brexit hits, just Britain becoming less attractive so more business goes elsewhere.

I know it is illogical and petty minded but I have to confess when I hear such things about strongly Brexit areas my first thought is "you made your bed, you can now lie on it". It doesn't help now but maybe in a generation or two, the populace will have learned not to be so stupid when they go the ballot box.
                  Tory Scum called it “Managed Decline” in the past

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                    Patrick Minford - Wikipedia

Minford:
                    CBE
                    Professor
                    Published research

Meridian:
                    Pleased to see you’re impressed by Minford’s qualifications. What are your thoughts on QC’s?

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                      Are you sure. My figures look more like 190,000 in Europe (excl UK) and 50,000 in UK.
                      That is a fair cop, I misinterpreted and phrased it incorrectly. The U.K. is the largest individual market, but they are not mostly sold in the U.K. as I stated.

Comment

Working...
                      X