• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit expat retirees 'may cost NHS millions'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    6 years! Your right to remain is automatic, why are you moaning? And why are you greedily sending your ID card into a very long queue- making the problem worse for others.

My point good sir, is that I think the lady doth protest too much. Are you perhaps using this situation as a vehicle to promote your successful migration story? Are you trying to draw a distinction between you and your little Polish builder brothers on the street who did not make it big like you did? On a lighter note - just let them continue renting your bedsits out- you don't have to kick them out at brexit. Maybe put the rent up in case they do a runner. Or cash in hand in advance.
    uhm #2
    nope. just complaining on PR application and beaurocracy. They have my ID and i need it. and it turns out I will get it back in 11 years:S
    Last edited by diseasex; 31 May 2017, 08:46.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
      uhm #2
      nope. just complaining on PR application. They have my ID and i need it. and it turns out I will get it back in 11 years:S
      That sounds like you've been identified as having extremist views, so are in the extended vetting queue.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
        uhm #2
        nope. just complaining on PR application. They have my ID and i need it. and it turns out I will get it back in 11 years:S
        Just pretend you lost it and apply for a new ID.

Do you need this much hand holding at work? No wonder you're worried now that the competition levels are increasing.

Comment

In reality they won't be going anywhere. If an expat went to Spain and legally bought a villa, maybe got the maid pregnant and has a half-Spanish kid, learned the lingo so he can buy his fags from Diego the smuggler, spent his pension in the local bars, kept his head down and stayed out of the way of the locals by living in British ghettos, etc. You can't suddenly kick him out. There would be riots on the Costa Del Sol.
          It's starting to happen already, ex-pats in Spain are being required to have private medical insurance as it is, once they can no longer recharge pension medical costs to the NHS they will just make it mandatory for everyone
          Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

Comment

Just pretend you lost it and apply for a new ID.

Do you need this much hand holding at work? No wonder you're worried now that the competition levels are increasing.
            True - sending it to May's govt is as good as lost

Comment

Originally posted by InsertWittyNameHere555 View Post
              That is correct, however the cost of healthcare in Spain is a lot cheaper than the UK, so the same people in Europe are charging £500m a year back to the NHS, where as treating them in the UK will cost £1bn
              Fair point - though I remember reading that Spain are good at claiming the cost back from the NHS but the NHS are not very good at claiming costs from other countries care providers. So guess there will be a saving there.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                Fair point - though I remember reading that Spain are good at claiming the cost back from the NHS but the NHS are not very good at claiming costs from other countries care providers. So guess there will be a saving there.
                No there won't be, because NHS are just as poor in claiming costs from insurance providers for treating non-EU citizens. NHS has one of the highest costs per head in the world and it's not due to the tulip wages being higher here, but mostly to gross mismanagement and waste.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  When did anyone say Brexit means we are kicking anyone out of the UK?

You are just making this up as you go along.
                  Maybe not exactly kicking as in shoving them on board boats/planes at gun/spear point but the end result is the same:

The Office for National Statistics said the change was driven by "a statistically significant" increase of 40,000 people leaving the country.
                  These were mostly EU citizens - 117,000 emigrated, up 31,000 from 2015.
                  Net migration to the UK falls to 248,000 in 2016 - BBC News

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    No there won't be, because NHS are just as poor in claiming costs from insurance providers for treating non-EU citizens. NHS has one of the highest costs per head in the world and it's not due to the tulip wages being higher here, but mostly to gross mismanagement and waste.
                    The NHS isn't really that expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                      £6bn in 8 years, so could come out as cost neutral, but I doubt anyone will report that as it's not sexy enough a story

Health tourists cost UK taxpayers nearly £6billion in eight years
                      Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

Comment

Working...
                      X