• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff (part 2)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is quote from Bill Bryson's, "The Road to Little Dribbling: More Notes From a Small Island" which was written a while back. It ought to explain to even the most bone-headed of you why Brexit cannot work:

"I truly don’t understand how Britain does it. Great Britain has the world’s sixth largest economy, but as far as I can see it doesn’t make much of anything any more. Whitbread doesn’t brew beer. Tate & Lyle no longer refines sugar. Only five of Britain’s largest companies manufacture any products at all in the UK now. So few industrial companies are left that the Financial Times had to take the word ‘industrial’ out of the Financial Times Industrial Average, its principal measure of corporate well-being. When I was a child, Britain made a quarter of all that was produced in the world (though, to be fair, my being a child had very little to do with it); now the figure is 2.9 per cent and falling. These days, Britain makes Rolls-Royce jet engines and all the little pots of marmalade in the world, but that’s about it, as far as I can tell. Nearly everything that’s left seems to be owned by foreigners. French companies own Hamley’s toy store, Glenmorangie whisky, Orange mobile phones, Fisons pharmaceuticals and EDF, the power company. E.ON and Npower are German. Scottish Power is Spanish. United Biscuits, which makes McVitie’s Digestives, Jaffa Cakes and Hula Hoops, is owned by Yildiz, a Turkish company. Jaguar, Blue Circle Cement, British Steel, Harrods, Bass breweries, most of the main airports, several of the most important football teams, and the company that brought you this book are all foreign owned. Fewer than half of Britain’s largest companies even have a British-born chairman. HP and Daddies sauces are made in Holland. Smarties are made in Germany. Raleigh bicycles are made in Denmark. In 2010, RBS, a failed Scottish bank owned by the British government, lent the money to the American food conglomerate Kraft to buy Cadbury’s, Britain’s most venerable chocolate maker. As part of the deal Kraft promised to keep open a Cadbury factory near Bristol, but it was just fooling. As soon as the deal was complete, Kraft closed the factory and shipped its machinery to Poland. I think these things matter. People used to be proud of what Britain gave the world, but now they can’t even be sure of what it gives itself. If you sell out to outsiders, you must accept that it will be people from other lands who decide what biscuits you eat, where your sauces are concocted, whether your banks have locally meaningful names like ‘Britannia’ and ‘Halifax’ or are named after some Spanish city that no one has ever been to and has 40 per cent unemployment."
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Block BREXIT and kiss goodbye to another Indy Ref.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        Block BREXIT and kiss goodbye to another Indy Ref.
        Have BREXIT and break up the union.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Have BREXIT and break up the union.
          Out of the cosy comfort of Barnett and into the warm embrace of Dr Schauble?

Good luck with that!

Comment

Out of the cosy comfort of Barnett and into the warm embrace of Dr Schauble?

Good luck with that!
            Nevertheless it will break up eventually.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Nevertheless it will break up eventually.
              Perhaps. But now is not the right time for Scotland.

I'm not against indy, I would have voted 'yes' for Indy in 2014. But the road right now looks impossibly difficult.

Comment

Perhaps. But now is not the right time for Scotland.

I'm not against indy, I would have voted 'yes' for Indy in 2014. But the road right now looks impossibly difficult.
                Well, if it had happened imagine what it would be like there now
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Well, if it had happened imagine what it would be like there now
                  Who knows. But keeping folk captive against their will doesn't seem right.

Which is why a 'Yes' should be respected (if they vote yes), and a 'leave' should be respected, and any other country who wants out should get it.

Comment

Who knows. But keeping folk captive against their will doesn't seem right.
                    But that is the whole point. The people of Scotland are NOT being kept captive against their will. In 2014 they voted 55% to 45% to remain as part of the UK.
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                      But that is the whole point. The people of Scotland are NOT being kept captive against their will. In 2014 they voted 55% to 45% to remain as part of the UK.
                      I know mate, I know; on the lie that staying in the UK was the best way to stay in the UK (according to Sturgeon anyhow).

Comment

Working...
                      X