• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Start Date being postponed after signing the contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i had this client offering me a role however was not able to produce a contract in writing with a start date... they kept stringing me along till the last minute .... I in the meanwhile drove myself nuts unable to decide whether to accept extension at my current client... they kept saying they were waiting for signoff from someone senior who was on leave and the contract will be ready next monday and so on... turns out last day of my contract at current client and the M Fers ring me and say the project is canned...

I renewed eventually at current client and for 5 % more , so all good in the end.

Lesson learnt: With contract work, there will always be a margin of risk... nothing is more certain than that paid invoice landing in your business account.... everything else is a mirage.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      FTFY
      Oh yes. If on the bench would have claimed up to start date.

Sponging off the state = legally claiming benefits to which I am entitled?
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Sponging off the state = legally claiming benefits to which I am entitled?
        In the eyes of many, absolutely.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by sandyh2001in View Post
          i had this client offering me a role however was not able to produce a contract in writing with a start date... they kept stringing me along till the last minute .... I in the meanwhile drove myself nuts unable to decide whether to accept extension at my current client... they kept saying they were waiting for signoff from someone senior who was on leave and the contract will be ready next monday and so on... turns out last day of my contract at current client and the M Fers ring me and say the project is canned...

I renewed eventually at current client and for 5 % more , so all good in the end.

Lesson learnt: With contract work, there will always be a margin of risk... nothing is more certain than that paid invoice landing in your business account.... everything else is a mirage.
          Yeh when you hear the words senior manager has to signoff its always 50/50.

I've had ones where both client and agent have said yeh its all sorted just has be rubber stamped etc. Start date was 3 weeks away. Friday pm before agency phoned me to say it wasnt happening. Nice one. This was with signed contract as well (Albeit one day notice which agency got out to me sharpish to ensure it was canned before the monday).

Comment

Oh yes. If on the bench would have claimed up to start date.

Sponging off the state = livin' the dream?
            FTFY
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              If they've postponed twice, look for another contract, there is a good chance they'll cancel altogether.

It would be no problem getting out of a contract that's been postponed twice.
              And the irony is that, assuming the contract is a genuinely IR35-friendly contract, the same mutuality of obligation (or rather, lack of it) that allows the client to delay a start date (by effectively not offering work they're under no obligation to) allows you to refuse any work as and when the client decides to offer it.

In other words although you've got a contract, it's barely worth the paper it's written on, so find another client in the mean time then if the first client decides they do want you to eventually start at some later point in time, exercise your MOO rights and refuse all of that offered work for the remainder of the contract.

It's a funny old game, contracting, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                And the irony is that, assuming the contract is a genuinely IR35-friendly contract, the same mutuality of obligation (or rather, lack of it) that allows the client to delay a start date (by effectively not offering work they're under no obligation to) allows you to refuse any work as and when the client decides to offer it.

In other words although you've got a contract, it's barely worth the paper it's written on, so find another client in the mean time then if the first client decides they do want you to eventually start at some later point in time, exercise your MOO rights and refuse all of that offered work for the remainder of the contract.

It's a funny old game, contracting, isn't it?
                But in the real world if you did this both client and pimp would go mad and say you'd left them in the lurch, how dare you, you've signed a contract, we'll sue you etc etc.

Doesnt work both ways ultimately.

Comment

But in the real world if you did this both client and pimp would go mad and say you'd left them in the lurch, how dare you, you've signed a contract, we'll sue you etc etc.

Doesnt work both ways ultimately.
                  In the real world, a business would get someone in to do the work at a rate which enables the business to make a profit.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    In the real world, a business would get someone in to do the work at a rate which enables the business to make a profit.
                    So get a bob in then.

Comment

client might cancel it completely

Originally posted by MikeKshatri View Post
                      Hello All,

I am moving from Permanent Role to a Contract in UK. Based on the offer/start date on a signed contract i have resigned my Permanent Job. First the client postponed my start date for 2 weeks from the start date 19th May 2014 to 2nd June 2014. Today agency called me again and said now its being postponed further to 9th June. I am out of Job now since 19th May for next 15 days. Client might turn up and further postpone it.

Based on the signed contract what can i do legally, otherwise whats the point of signing a document which can be altered as client wishes to.

Kindly advise.
                      Regards
                      Mike
                      Is the Agent or client telling you this.? They probably have some else in doing the job right now, if he works out they will keep him, if not they have you dangling on a string, good planning by the client encase 1st chap does not work out.

Comment

Working...
                      X